Fishing Line

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
if I can get here........so anyone fish for musky...or walleye?

Yeah, Jeff likes the Walleye and Muskie fishing!

Where is he anyways? Gets a girl and he's too good to come around anymore?:lol:

Nah punks! Just busy catching big muskie!!!

(And this is a small one! Had a 50" boatside and lost her at the net last week. Been seeing and raising some good fish though.)

Attachments

• P7050010.JPG
    P7050010.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 42
Yeah, Jeff likes the Walleye and Muskie fishing!

Where is he anyways? Gets a girl and he's too good to come around anymore?:lol:

Actually most of my time is at lakestclair.net. I'm a mod there now and good God that takes up alot of online time! Complaints, banning, conventry, putting out fires....

The ladyfriend is still around, which is amazing, but she's still hanging around. That, and I'm fishing like five days a week now. Workouts have been suffering, but it's time to fish!

So what was the question about muskies again?

100#-120# FC for muskie.

Some guys still use steel, but FC is the trend.

any other tips?....probably heading to lake Fontana. Bait? best time?

any other tips?....probably heading to lake Fontana. Bait? best time?

Look for colored water (gin clear is bad. muddy is bad) about 70-75* with weeds and structure. It all depends on the type of lake it is. There's just too much to discuss!! lol Look for weeds and structure and you'll find them eventually.

Go big or go home. My muskie fly rods are 10 or 11 wts and my convetional gear is XXH- one rods casts, 6 oz; one casts 10 oz and the third casts 16 oz. That's heavy gear. If you're just doing one trip, you can get by with your absolute heaviest bass gear but don't make a habit of it. Alot of guys try that and find that it doesn't work for more than a trip or two.

Go big on the baits. Double Cowgirls, Dawgs, 10" Believers....go big!

Attachments

• P7130011.JPG
    P7130011.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 34
  • P7130010.JPG
    P7130010.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 35
I'm headed out the door to fish right now. I'll get some pics and put together a proper muskie thread later on.

My gramps was a fishing fool for Muskie and Pike in the Illinois area. I remember that his tackle box was full of big red feathers. That was in the old days though.

I have a calcutta on a stout rod..........but no lure thta big! Shat!:O....I gotta get some:|:

this may be farcical:

fishing%20lure.jpg

Crikey! That's a big lure! I didn't realize that they made them so large. Do they get any bigger???

Nah that's about as big as they come. And you don't always throw baits that large. Super large baits are usually more for the fall when the big girls are putting the eggs on for next spring.

Trying to improve my vocabulary: what is the difference between Pike and Muskie?

I would have called the fish in the picture a Pike if it had been caught around here.

Trying to improve my vocabulary: what is the difference between Pike and Muskie?

I would have called the fish in the picture a Pike if it had been caught around here.

If it had been caught near you, it would have been a pike. Muskie are native only to North America. Over here, pike are the smaller of the two species, but in Europe pike get enormous and are as large as our muskie.

At a glance, pike are dark with light spots and muskie are lighter with darker markings; either spots or bars. They may also be "clear." Their tails also differ, with the muskie having a pointed tail, and the pike having rounded lobes.

Then you have a "Tiger" muskie which is a naturally occuring hybrid of a pike and a muskie.

Attachments

• know_the_difference.jpg
    know_the_difference.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 7
Thanks a lot.
Your Northern Pike sure looks like the ones we have around here.

Back home we would often get 20-25# pike in the fall. I've seen a few in the sloughs off the Kuskokwim that looked to be every bit of 4 foot.

Back