Fishing 2012

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I used to think fish/wild game was free food. It's actually expense, for me anyways. License, guns/rods, tackle/ammo, fuel, correct clothing, boat, etc. Pound for pound its outrageous. That's not to say wild fish and game cost that much over an over. The initial investment in the gear is a killer. After that I suppose its free.

Depends on situation, I'd say. I have to go somewhere to fish. I walk out the door to hunt.

Both have their associated expenses. Guns aren't cheap, but neither are boats! I spend more in a good year of bass fishing on lures than I do on ammo for hunting. I bought lifetime license (hunting/fishing) when I was 18. Money well spent! They've more than doubled in cost now. If I hadn't bought it then, I'd likely hunt without license now, as I hunt right here at the house, and seldom elsewhere.

The last couple of deer I brought home, I hit with the truck.
That was pretty cheap.

Same with growing vegetables, it can be expensive for fertilizer if you use the chemical type....plus the time investment. A good garden requires time, both the prep for planting then the maintenance.

You forget the tiny size of our roe deer.
50-60 pds. tops. You'd have to go really fast to damage a truck on one of those.

Had it been a fallow deer or an elk, it would have been a different story:lol:

Do you eat lobster Gigi or just not fish?

Maybe you can catch some fish that doesn't taste like fish.

There's one here, tastes just like lobster. Rock cod, not a cod really and not a popular fish. You get them mostly when fishing for Snapper, I was good at catching rock cod when I had my boat.:|:

Just a pic from here and some info.http://allatsea.biz/catch-of-the-day/andrew-caught-a-lobster-fish-i-e-a-red-rock-cod#!prettyPhoto

P1290091v1.jpg

It looks similar to what is called "Rock cod" along the California coast, but I can't recall if that color was common. Bottom dwellers and pretty easy to catch in quantity of you find a hole where they are.

There was a kind of rock fish that was called a Sculpin. Found in the same zones as the rock cods. There is some toxicity in their dorsal fin, so if you get poked it can be a problem other than just the cut.

Back