Firewood

brendonv

Tree Hugger
Is there anyway to estimate how many cords of split wood would be in log form.

I am trying to give someone a price on wood in log lengths from 14 trees I have to do next week. I already found someone to buy the woodchips, now I think I found someone to buy the wood, all within 10 minutes of the job site.

Trying to make an extra buck here.:)

Not sure where you're going, but a cord of wood is about 96 cubic feet (If you're measuring one log at a time).... you could try the formula for cylinder volume and be close enough. (96 cubic feet, since there's no air spaces in an unsplit log as there are in a pile of cordwood.)

If you have logs in a pile, the dimensions are the same as for a cord of split wood- 4 feet high, 4 feet wide, 8 feet long... 128 cubic feet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm just trying to figure out how much I can get. Thinking 14 trees, 8" + diamter wood, no longer than 8'.

Couple hundred?

Figure about 2/3 the going price of a split cord in your area.

I would try for 500. Not to greedy but also an extra buck in your pocket. Plus you might be able to supply these folks with wood from now on.

14 logs 8 feet long 8 inch diameter? couple hundred? 5 hundred? i must be missing something

I think brendon is saying he will have 14 trees and he is going to chip everything up to 8 inches. And try to sell the rest, that is the way I was reading it.

I just looked this up for Dad today. A cord of wood is 4' wide by 4' high by 8' long, so 126 cubic feet. A face cord of wood (What is normally delivered) is 4' high, 8' long, and as wide as the wood, which is an average of 16", so 8' is 96". Divide that by 16, and you get 6. Say an avg. of 3 pieces per 16" long length, , multiply that by 6, you get 18, so an average of 18 pieces of firewood per 8' log length. Now multiply that by 14 for 14 trees and you get 252 pieces of wood. Don't know if that helped, but it was fun!!

I always save the wood for the rainy days... better to make some money than no money at all when times are tight and work is slow, rained out, snowed out or sumtin...
As far as a cord... 128 cubic feet... reason for 16" cut is that 3 rows equal 48" thus 4 feet... thus three rows, 4 foot high and 8 foot long equal a cord.
Be sure to charge for stacking by the hour.. cord price seldom includes the stacking, let alone if you have to cart the wood around a building or sumptin. Law here also requires receipt to customer reflecting cord measurement, amount, person or company selling the wood with phone number. Weights and measurements requires it.

Most likely you could do a Google on log measurements and it would tell you the formulas for figuring cordage in log lengths .

Like Net says though about 95 or so cubic feet in log lengths .After it gets some air spaces it stretchs to 128 cubic feet .

Then as my old man used to say there are different stacked cords .A tight cord is where a mouse can get through .A medium tight is where a cat can get through and a loose is where a dog chasing a cat who is chasing the mouse can get through .

Is there anyway to estimate how many cords of split wood would be in log form.

I am trying to give someone a price on wood in log lengths from 14 trees I have to do next week. I already found someone to buy the woodchips, now I think I found someone to buy the wood, all within 10 minutes of the job site.

When Are you guys going to wise up and go metric?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
DNB=do not bother......chip it. 8" dia ?:/:

Wood is like crack up here right now, worth more in wood than chips.

I am just trying to prevent bringing it to my house, then I end up moving it, splitting it, then it sits, then rots, then I just give it away in spring. I ran across this person and they are willing to pay, and it's close to the jobsite. Lots of people now with outdoor furnaces.

Firewood is only a quick easy buck if you move it one time. Any more than that it just goes straight down the tubes.

With the continued rise in cost of fuel, natural gas and electricity for heating our homes wood is beginning to make a come back. I seen a lot of people toss their wood stoves years ago only to go back to it again. Strictly for the economics.

Jerry's right. If I bring it back to my yard, cut it, split it and stack it I figure I have about $30.00 per face cord invested. Add in the reload and delivery and your close to $40.00 in cost.

On the other hand we are getting $80.00 per face cord delivered right now.

Interesting, we only sell real cords up here 4x4x8. I've never heard of anyone ever talk of a face cord up here. $200-$250 for a cord of nice fir (softwoods are the preferred wood here for burning).

I figure I've already been paid to get rid of the wood and if I have to take it to the dump it costs me, so anything firewoodable is coming home. I've been burning wood for about a week or so now myself. It's the only way to enjoy real heat imo. Natural gas or electricity sucks bigtime compared with wood.

Yeah, I really hate that I don't have to deal with wood to heat my house.

It's such a pain in the azz to have to set the thermostat once and wake up in the morning with the house the same temperature it was when I went to sleep.

It costs us less than $30 a year to heat our 2700sq ft.

Then again, it gets down to the high 50's/low 60's before the heat pump kicks on.

Lol, my place is 75 degrees. Atleast! :lol:

Yah it's a real pita to throw a few pieces of wood in the fire.:P

Back