Finn cut

• Thread starter TreeDimensional
  • Start date
  • Replies 33
  • Views 4K
That seems like a pretty good technique for working with windthrow where there's lots of residual stress. I'm pretty sure that if the top is bound under pressure, even with a small tree, I would not just face it and cut it. I'd look for away to relieve it slowly (unlikely), or trigger it like he did. I'm filing that one away, I get lots of windthrow jobs since, for some reason this region is a wind magnet.

I'm just the opposite Brent, if there's any excuse to climb, I climb... that's not entirely true, I like trying to setup rigging strictly from the ground with a throwline sometimes, mainly when it's blazing hot.

I wish I was a farmer but I'm really glad I'm not... if that makes any sense.

I didn't know you were a farmer. A farmer tree surgeon? I thought farmers worked from dawn to dusk? How do you have time for treework?

With all due respect to Mike, and thinking about Brian"s reservations, there is the caution about releasing a leaner with a trip cut above the bore cut, due to a run-out crack possibly grabbing the bar. No exactly sure, but I think that could apply to the Finn cut as shown here.

Back