Fine Second Growth Timber

gf beranek

Old Schooler
Terri and I went to Navarro River flats yesterday morning, Sunday 8/3. I wanted to get some pictures of the old stumps there, and of course the fine second growth redwoods that have come up since the big trees were all cut.

Navarro River flats is a living testament of the resilience of nature to bounce back after a major impact. Approximately 130 years ago.

Attachments

• fiine second growth 1.jpg
    fiine second growth 1.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Old stump 1.jpg
    Old stump 1.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Old stump 2.jpg
    Old stump 2.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Sucker clump.jpg
    Sucker clump.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Old butt log.jpg
    Old butt log.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 8
  • fiine second growth 3.jpg
    fiine second growth 3.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Aren't digital cameras great. The trees are over 200 feet tall. Given another hundred years I'm sure they'll reach the 300 mark. Not too shabby for second growth.

You'd think that even a redwood stump would have rotted away by now. Awesome pictures Jerry. Must be some fertile soil there to grow trees that big.

no steve, ive seen them where another tree has grown from a seed and put roots down over the stump in all directions clear to the soil. i had a friend with a lucas mill in the eureka area that would buck logs from trees that had been on the ground for decades to mill up!

I grew up climbing on old redwood stumps like that. They seem huge now I live somewhere else. I love walking through the redwoods. I love how soft the ground feels beneath your feet. I love how still and peaceful it is in a redwood grove no matter what the weather is like outside.

It's the water mostly, but the river flats flood every year and the silt deposited each time bears a lot of significance towards the redwoods growth.

The soil is sandy loam. When I was working on the flats it would shake just from the tracks of the Cat walking through the trees. A hundred yards away.

Awesome Jerry. Just a bit bigger than the second growth I'm familiar with. This is me in a stand of second growth Doug fir.

Impressive Jerry.

Attachments

• goindown.jpg
    goindown.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 52
Fishhuntcutwood, that's a tall slender patch of whips you're in there.

Trees like that sway in the slightest breeze, set back and barberchair, and tangle through others and get in the most wicked binds, you name it. They can be some of the most dangerous stems to work.

Fishhuntcutwood, that's a tall slender patch of whips you're in there.

Trees like that sway in the slightest breeze, set back and barberchair, and tangle through others and get in the most wicked binds, you name it. They can be some of the most dangerous stems to work.

and its a lot of work to fill a truck with poles!

last years pics

Most of you probably already seen these I took last year at the Stout grove, but I'll be going back up next week and hike into the grove of the titians with Mvadin @ the buzz.

Attachments

• Willie and Terri.jpg
    Willie and Terri.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Stout Tree.jpg
    Stout Tree.jpg
    627 KB · Views: 7
Back