Felling with D. Douglas Dent

Sure can't remember the last time, you presented yourself as god's gift to arborism, Brian.
Plus, you are skinny as a rail.
So I fail to see the resemblance. :D

Last edited:
You lie! But I like it. :D

215 lbs, 5'8" tall. You can do the conversions. Those pictures from the get together in California 10 years ago I was about 180 lbs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The fact is that I never was so fortunate to take a course from the man himself as Burnham had. In lieu of his presence in this plane I ask of you Burnham your thoughts on the kerf Dutchman and it's variants.
It's imporetant to understand that those in positions to train others in a field as dangerous as logging or arboriculture have to be conservative in order to avoid liability. It's clear that Dent changed his teachings on techniques such as the swing Dutchman becasue it was too "unreliabel to teach"... That doesn't make it too unreliable to use in the field, experiment with judiciously etc.

I have to ask myself how in the hell Daniel Murphy would have the knowledge to be able to report with his unfounded authority..."It's clear that Dent changed his teachings on techniques such as the swing Dutchman becasue it was too "unreliabel to teach" ?

His spelling seems to be almost as poor as his sawyer skills :P .

Of course, the answer to my question is that he has read my replies to questions close to the same as yours, Ty. And now adopts a position of having intimate knowledge of Doug Dent's mind on these matters. That is patently false.

He never had a single conversation with D.D. Dent, that he has reported. He never took one of his falling/bucking certification classes, that he has reported.

I think Daniel Murphy is not without skills, in his niche. But he is also pretty clearly a massive egotist, and one with some sort of strange need to belittle his peers rather than meet them as equals.

I have to ask myself how in the hell Daniel Murphy would have the knowledge to be able to report with his unfounded authority..."It's clear that Dent changed his teachings on techniques such as the swing Dutchman becasue it was too "unreliabel to teach" ?

His spelling seems to be almost as poor as his sawyer skills .

Of course, the answer to my question is that he has read my replies to questions close to the same as yours, Ty. And now adopts a position of having intimate knowledge of Doug Dent's mind on these matters. That is patently false.
He never had a single conversation with D.D. Dent, that he has reported. He never took one of his falling/bucking certification classes, that he has reported.
I think Daniel Murphy is not without skills, in his niche. But he is also pretty clearly a massive egotist, and one with some sort of strange need to belittle his peers rather than meet them as equals.

I have repeatedly credited you in earlier threads with bringing the information about Dent's changes on the swing Dutchman as first-hand knowledge. I have never claimed to have any first-hand knowledge on the matter. I said "it's clear". I didn't say Dent told me, or make any indication that I attended his classes.

Your false accusations violate the 10 commandments, bearing false witness, which you obviously have little regard for. And once again you resort to personal attacks and name calling, but offer no support. You even stoop to criticizing my spelling because that's all you got.
If you want to have an intelligent conversation about tree work, I'm in. If you want to make yourself out to have superior knowledge, you'll have to tell me something I don't know, as I have done to you many times.

And just to prove that point, I'll do it again here...

You said in post 308:

“In my experience, topping good-sized tops in conifers, to minimize the push back as the top goes over and thus minimize the back and forth motion of the stem you're riding, setting a narrower face than normal is expeditious.

The reason is pretty obvious...if the topped section closes it's face earlier in the fall, breaks the hinge and separates from the stem sooner, the time that the resulting opposite force bears on the stem is less. Less time pushing away from the felling direction means less initial movement in that plane, and that translates into less rebound...and thus the back and forth sway thereafter.

I don't have any reason to think a conventional or humbolt face is better or worse at this. I like a humbolt aloft, but that's just because I can cut it with the top of the bar easier than with a conventional, and I like sending the saw chips away from me whenever possible, cutting at chest high or higher as one does when topping”

You’re basically saying when topping large trees, you prefer a Humboldt because it’s easier to cut and keeps the sawdust away, but the Humboldt is no better or worse than the a conventional for topping cuts.

I was just going to let that go, so as not to have to embarrass you again for making such a foolish statement, but you just asked for it.

The Humboldt is far superior to the conventional as a topping cut for many reasons that go far beyond keeping the sawdust out of your pockets.

First and foremost, as is COMMON KNOWLEDGE, the Humboldt will tend to keep the but from sliding back off the cut into the climber’s lap (far better than the conventional, which creates a plane that wants to push the but straight back). Therefore, if there is any chance the top will contact another tree while it still has a high angle, the Humboldt is a huge safety factor.

What to my knowledge has never been taught elsewhere, and I figured out from countless hours of studying videos in slow motion, is that the Humboldt creates far cleaner separation than the conventional. Basically, the Humboldt quickly rips the hinge, creating separation shortly after the face closes. The conventional will hold on for another 10 to 15 degrees longer than the Humboldt with some variability depending on the species and size of hinge, momentum of top etc. That variability makes it harder to judge exactly when the top will separate. The tendency of the conventional to hold on for another 10 to 15 degrees makes it possible to get earlier separation from the Humboldt, As seen in the “throwing a big pine top” video.

So in situations where the climber needs to be more accurate in determining the angle of the top at separation (such as throwing tops forward or jumping) the Humboldt is far superior. Also because the Humboldt rips the hinge faster and with less force, the acceleration of the top needed to throw it is more impeded by a conventional, which means you can get more forward distance from a Humboldt.

The tendency of a conventional take more time to break the hinge will also increase push back or sway on those tall west coast conifers.

My theory as to why the conventional holds on so much longer is that the leverage of the Humboldt, creates a situation where the tensioned forces are concentrated in the back of the hinge, tearing the hinge quickly from the back to front. Whereas the conventional spreads the forces more evenly across the width of the hinge, which then takes a lot more force to break.

There is also another factor going on which creates a much different effect. I AM pretty sure it goes like this. The inclined plane of the lower Humboldt face takes some of the backward pushing force of the leaning top and directs it forward and down, rather than back. This will also reduce push back.

And last but not least, in a situation where a top hangs up, it’s a lot easier to kick it off the stem, when there is an inclined plane of the Humboldt to use. Otherwise a big enough top on a conventional notch would push down back into the stem and not budge.

So Burnham, while many here may idolize you for teaching them how to keep sawdust out of their pockets, your lack of knowledge in this matter is clear. Most especially, your inability to emphasize the important safety factors of topping with a Humboldt shows your low level of understanding. So while you are all pumped up becasue you attended Dent's classes, I can teach you things that he couldn't.

... So Burnham, while many here may idolize you for teaching them how to keep sawdust out of their pockets,... So while you are all pumped up becasue you attended Dent's classes, I can teach you things that he couldn't.

If it was within my power, this post would have been your last.

The level of arrogance and antagonism you consistently spew is unacceptable.

you've got a clue DMc... speak to the technical aspects of tree cutting in this conversation, if you have somthing to say...
Your criticisms of personality are projections of your own arrogance, or you wouldn't get so triggered.

Here's an example of taking tops out where the Humboldt is a life saver and can make freeing a stuck top much easier. And if you watch closely, you'll see a cut and a technique that can't be found in Dent's classes or his book.

Itty bitty trees with nothing but room for falling underneath.
To the rest of us that is an easy job, to you it is a " The Humbold WAS A LIFESAVER" job.

Give me a break.

Daniel, I have a hard time understanding what you get out of this, personally.
You constantly paint yourself into a corner and end up in the same situation, where you denigrate some of the top folks in the busines, while doing an " I'm the greatest" rant worthy of Cassius Clay ( Except, he really was!)
Hard not to form a mental picture of you as King Kong standing at the top of Empire State building and beating his chest.

It is not only here, it happens at each and every tree forum.
That is why I have been going at you for showing me just one where they love you.

Butch has banned you twice for being an asshole, but let you back in.

But each time, you decide there is something wrong with ALL the members of ALL the treeforums in ALL of the World, because they refuse to recognize the greatness that is you.

I realize that the combination of Dunning-Kruger and megalomania that haunts you, does make it hard to interact with others on a friendly basis like the rest of the members here do, but what do you get out of constantly banging your poor deluded head into the same rock?

We'll never understand that you are indeed, "the World's greatest treeman" ( With bucket truck access, of course)

Not a single one of the members here like you, and I'd guess that most of those you've pissed on, despise you.

Not me.
I'm a woke, soft type leftist, so I realize that when you call me a fraud, because I won't get into a youtube interaction with you, it is just youthfull silliness.
I have, after all, probably felled close to 1000 times the trees that you have, so that shit only makes me chuckle.

But again, what do you get out of coming here, calling people, that to the rest of us are hallowed, out for being idiots with no knowledge and screaming your:" I'm the World's greatest treeman ( With bucket access, of course) cry out from the top of Empire state building again and again and again?

I don't get it.

You NEVER get a single positive response anywhere, yet you persist.

Again, not only here, but at every tree forum known to mankind.

Maybe you should look in a mirror and see that the fault doesn't lie with the rest of us.

Go back to being a youtube god to ignorants and leave the rest of us alone.

Please.

Last edited:
Your buddy Bernham just put a post up stating that he sees no difference in function between a humboldt and a conventional for topping large conifers, then went on the attack with personal insults. He never wants to talk trees though. Because every time he argues with me, he makes a fool of himself. You both just talk crap. Look at any of your last 50 posts to (about) me. Show me one that details any technical aspect of tree work.

I rather discuss the parameters of topping cuts in an intelligent manner, and even after I let B's post go (which was complete nonsense to the point it made me wonder if he's starting to lose it) for some time, not one person here bothered to correct him, or offer another viewpoint. That shows just how dead this place is. Where is Reg? Where is Jed? Where is Jerry? Where is Graehem?

I don't start the ugliness.. you do! I just tell the truth. Your videos are unimpressive. I can cut circles around you on the right tree. I own a bucket, and its paid for. You (or anyone here ) get in your saddle, and I'll get in my bucket and I'd smoke you on any technical removal.

And ya, you fall a lot of trees.. a lot more trees than any arborist. That alone is unimpressive.

I've corrected you and pointed out things to you over and over for years. You corrected me once when I misinterpreted a foreign-language article. Other than that, you just talk crap, throw out personal insults and such, because that's all you've got.

Murphy... I feel sure that many of those not commenting here are like me... Watching silently but aghast at what I see. You continue to convince me that you are a megalomaniac and incredibly egotistical and out of touch with the reality that most of us live in. Your constant taunting as you try to entice people into conversations with you seems to me to be pathological. You don't need to start with me now because I don't know much at all about tree work and will not even try to engage or debate you on any aspect of it.

I have read this stuff from you for weeks at least now and kept thinking you would finally just move on. But it does not seem you are able to do that. You really are wasting a lot of your life trying to convince people that are confident about how they do things that they are wrong.

You must think you need to protect us from ourselves. Good luck with that.

I generally refrain from getting involved in this type of drama but here I am. Several times I've started to write something like this to you but refrained... I thought it would be basically cruel. I've decided maybe instead if I'm lucky it might help you move down another path that might eventually be useful to you. I really wish the best for you. I think you do have intentions of helping people learn and perform safely. But it does not seem that you are able to effectively fulfill that mission with this group of people.

I hope you are able to find your niche.

I don't start the ugliness.. you do! I just tell the truth. Your videos are unimpressive. I can cut circles around you on the right tree. I own a bucket, and its paid for. You (or anyone here ) get in your saddle, and I'll get in my bucket and I'd smoke you on any technical removal.

Poor little old Daniel.
You misunderstood little lamb.
Yet somehow ugliness seems to follow you like rain after thunder.
Not only here but in every goddamned treeforum known to mankind.

Why do you think that is?

To you, it is obviously because ALL the rest of us are a bunch of clueless morons, who fail to see, that you are the " Greatest treeman ever" ( With bucket access, of course).

To the rest of us, it is because the "truth" you tell, is like what comes out of the mouth of a jehova's witness.
Moronic crap, that is the one and only truth in the eyes of the one telling it.

As for my videos.
I think I posted 2 videos of myself, the rest were of my apprentices.
You got yourself into a frenzy about one where I felled a pine fast, and told the World how much faster you could do that, while being clueless to the fact that I was trying to save a log, so set it up with a backstrap.

I'm guessing "the right tree" where you can cut circles around me isn't one that is too far from the landing.
Otherwise you'd be on your knees from dragging the tub of lard, that is your body, through the brush and unable to cut anything.

The World's greatest treeman, but please drive him out to the job, or let him work from a bucket.

I have zero respect for someone who lets their body go to shit like you have.............zero.

Again, please show me just one forum where you are not " Misunderstood".

Just one.

Last edited:
Murphy... I feel sure that many of those not commenting here are like me... Watching silently but aghast at what I see. You continue to convince me that you are a megalomaniac and incredibly egotistical and out of touch with the reality that most of us live in. Your constant taunting as you try to entice people into conversations with you seems to me to be pathological. You don't need to start with me now because I don't know much at all about tree work and will not even try to engage or debate you on any aspect of it.

I have read this stuff from you for weeks at least now and kept thinking you would finally just move on. But it does not seem you are able to do that. You really are wasting a lot of your life trying to convince people that are confident about how they do things that they are wrong.

You must think you need to protect us from ourselves. Good luck with that.

I generally refrain from getting involved in this type of drama but here I am. Several times I've started to write something like this to you but refrained... I thought it would be basically cruel. I've decided maybe instead if I'm lucky it might help you move down another path that might eventually be useful to you. I really wish the best for you. I think you do have intentions of helping people learn and perform safely. But it does not seem that you are able to effectively fulfill that mission with this group of people.

I hope you are able to find your niche.

Thanks Gary,
You're a good man!

Murphy, are you really so clueless that you don't realize Gary told you to piss off, but did so in a more polite way than me?

Daniel, you haven't answered my question.

What do you personally get out of getting in fights on every treeforum in the World and over and over and over painting yourself into a corner, ending up as King Kong on top of Empire State building: " I'm the World's greatest treeman" ( With bucket access, of course).

And again, please show me a forum where you are not a laughing stock.

Just one.

Can't be that hard for the World's greatest treeman (with bucket access, of course).

BTW do you think someone like Gary respects you for letting your body go to fat?

So do I.
Pretty thick scull on King Kong.

But it is a valid question, that I ask, isn't it.

NEVER a single positive response anywhere, I mean, they absolutely lambast him at Treebuzz, yet he goes on and on and on.

Old Sigmund would have had a field day with Danny boy.

Back