FELLING QUESTION - HOLLOW SYCAMORE

I don't think I would live without my maasdam puller, best purchase I've made, and I absolutely agree it's cheap insurance. I've not cut anything down that rough shape in such an area, but I've had situations that I wasn't sure if pulling on a high portion would break off a major section of trunk, so I had one end of a rope rigged high and the other end rigged lower, and connected the pull rope from the maasdam with a pulley on the rope rigged to the tree......

So you pulled at TWO points on the tree...high up and lower, too?

If it is like my drawing and the top breaks out, won't you have a lot of slack in the remaining line? Hep me!!

Attachments

• pull rope high-low.jpg
    pull rope high-low.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 48
Yup! I don't have the solution, just an idea, stopper knots could be tied, but my thinking for the job I had was to distribute the pull, not saying it would work for the OP.

I like the idea of distributing the pull in a suspect tree. Thanks for the idea.

Seems that pulling with two lines, one high, one middle of tree would add that margin of safety in case the top broke out.

(not for every tree obviously)

We've done that on a tree that the top was suspect and could possibly break on the pull. Yet we felt a lower line might be too low for the leverage again the lean. Just in case kind of thought. Should all fail, tree should go sideways worst case.

Why are you all ( almost all) so set on pulling that tree?
Why pull something that has a natural lean in the direction you want it to go?
Complete waste of time IMO, but that may just be the bushel faller part of me speaking:lol:

I agree on the shallow face, on a tree like that I'd try to make the face small enough that I keep as much sound wood as possible in the corners, even if that means barely nibbling through the rind of sound wood in the middle.

First post reads like it leans and the goose pen faces the power lines Stig. Assuming that, one would be pulling against the lean. Unless I read it wrong.

I just looked at the picture and it sure looks as it leans away from the lines, with all that limb weight on that side.
But...........but.......but........pictures can, as we all know, be decieving, so maybe I spoke out of turn.

Me too Squish, I doubt i'd want any more pressure on that tree

Right, especially with a right-pedal power pull.

I like the maasdam, meant to be used with three-strand, which has a stretch to it, which can store energy differently than a more static, totally static rope.

My concern is that the wood could crumble under the load at the hinge on one side if it's too thin, so you'd loose the tree side way.
You can bore cut vertically just at the place you want the notch's apex, as for a box cut. You get the thickness and the quality of the wood. Then an other vertical bore cut at the back of the hinge to be sure. If the front one is good but not the back one, say the front is the back and bore an other one more in front, putting the intended hinge in a sounder wood.
It's quick to do, you get a good idea of the wood, without compromising the tree's stability, well, not really more than it is actually.

Don't agonize over it too much. I remember my partner and I falling a huge Redwood "Goosepen" After we got the face in it we fell it with a 125 Mac. standing inside the tree! Don't remember exactly why, must have been a "good" reason" or just young foolishness? After it went over we were both hacking and coughing from the fumes. Our ears were totally deaf.

Back