Fantastic Luck With the Big Shot...Good/Bad

What's wrong with a girl with some muscles on her.
Afraid you can't beat her armwrestling for beer?

Well my definition is, throwing the line and weight similar to the way the athletes do their startup in the Olympic hammer throw.

Say, with a 16 oz bag tied to 6 ft of eighth inch poly (slick line) just to hold on to, and that tied to 200-300 feet of 1.75 zing-it, laid out on a tarp, or clean ground, you have the makings for achieving horizontal distances greater than 200 feet using the hammer style throw.

For creek crossings, gully crossings, over buildings the hammer throw is quite effective.

But the release is somewhat critical. As you seen the guards standing in place in the Olympic throwing events, even the athletes can get squirrely with it. Without those guards in place there would be some dead spectators.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok , Bivy ...enough comedy if you 'll all open your bibles...er "Funamentals" (Beranek) to pages 49-50....there it is with a diagram it's more or less the same shot as in the stadium footage without the fancy footwork...

hammer throw?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jpbgg2TRCuw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jpbgg2TRCuw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm gonna yell real loud when I throw from now on.

ha i used to work with a guy that hollered every time he threw a chunk of wood in the truck:)

My best was right at about 90', only hit that high once though and it took a couple passes to make it. 135' is mighty impressive!

jp:D

World record on the hammer throw is 281.9', and that's with a 16lb weight! I bet he wouldn't use no sissy 5lb driving hammer! :P

That's mighty impressive for heaving 16 pounds, but I think a person could throw a lighter weight farther.

It's like I couldn't throw an anvil past my ding dong, but I could throw a one pound weight quite a bit farther.

I'm pretty sure you're right, although there is a point of deminishing returns.

With a 10-12oz bag I can throw the full length of zing it (180') with an underhand lob, more weight makes it easier.

It would be interesting to go down to the beach where I have lots of room, and do some experimenting with different weight and lines.

Might conk a sea lion in the head.

I would be interested in knowing if any of you have been experimenting with different weights and line types using the bigshot.
I must admit to having been too lazy to do anything but continue with the same type of 12 ounce weight, I used before I bought a bigshot, and the same line too.
There must be, like lumberjack said a point of diminishing return, when it comes to shooting high.

I would be interested in knowing if any of you have been experimenting with different weights and line types using the bigshot.

I have. I have tried out 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16 oz weights with Zing it in 1.75 and 2.2 mm as well as Fling It ing 1.75 & 2.2 mm, as well as the crappy polyethylene "slick line" plus All Gear's Target Line. My favorite combo is 1.75 Fling It with a 10 oz weight. However, sometimes I have to pull out the 12 or 14 oz weight because the 10 oz isn't always heavy enough to come back to the ground.

Stig, there's more to it other than just height. I tried different diameter lines and found the 1.75 zingit was too skinny, it cut my hands when trying to pull the rope through. Sure, I could complicate the routine by using a tool to grab the line, but it's easier to just use the 2.25mm zingit and give up a few feet in height.

For weight, I tried lighter weights but they wouldn't always drop when attached to the 2.25 zingit. If I use too heavy of a weight then I increase the chance for damage with errant shots (all my work is in tight residential settings). The lightest weight I can use that still drops the line consistently is 12oz.

Every choice is a matter of compromise. For every gain in one factor, you're losing a benefit somewhere else.

And Jerry, as far as your supposition that a lighter weight will go farther, that is only true to a point. How far can you shoot a grain of sand or a pea? Heavier isn't always better either. How far can you shoot a bowling ball? The ideal weight will be somewhere in between.

I almost always wear gloves while doing tree work, ugly gloves. One benifit is I can throw hard without worrying about burning my release finger. Another is I can pull 1.75 with out trouble.

We've already adressed their is a point of diminishing returns, Brian. :P

For really high shots, I go with 30 lb. test monofilament on a large spool fishing reel and a 10 oz. bag. When I get that set and back on the ground I pull 2mm line in with the monofilament, then pull ascent line in with the 2mm.

Talking in excess of 150 feet.

I realize that a fishing reel and monofilament is the way to go for distance, Burnham. It's just not one of the things I have in the truck everyday.I've used it once in combination with a lead weight to set a pullrope across a small lake, we really got some distance with that, but not enough to reach across, so I had to put on waders and walk as far out as I could without drowning while my partner tried to shoot the line out to me with the bigshot.
Let me tell you, standing chest deep in water while someone bombards you with lead is pretty scary!

I realize that a fishing reel and monofilament is the way to go for distance, Burnham. It's just not one of the things I have in the truck everyday.I've used it once in combination with a lead weight to set a pullrope across a small lake, we really got some distance with that, but not enough to reach across, so I had to put on waders and walk as far out as I could without drowning while my partner tried to shoot the line out to me with the bigshot.
Let me tell you, standing chest deep in water while someone bombards you with lead is pretty scary!

Hey stig,If you ever go into business and need an employee my resume includes the experience of having shot my sister with a .22 Short at over 120 yards,on a ricochet at that,
Be advised though,my rotater cuffs are shot so throwing anything heavier than my opinion is painfull.
As an aside I'de really like to see some video of the activities descibed in this thread.
Best;ST

You know, that's what we said to each other after that pull-job. We should have this on video.
I am in business and I do have employees, but you'd have a heck of a drive to work every day, 4500 miles more or less.

Back