Falling Trees in the Wind

I got off light last week too...small ash removal over a lovely magnolia, most of it had to be rigged.
The last cut off the top was the one I was tied into then I could spike down and chunk it out. It had a fair amount of leaf and branches on the favourable side, lean was ok, I could drop it in the drive no problem. The PM wind had come up, I watched the gusts work through the other trees, waited for the lull...faced it and started the back cut and 'puff' comes a little gust, that top stood up and would have gone over backwards (flippin' snappy ash) but thank goodness my saw was still in the cut...it held just enough, and once the little puff let go, over it went sweet as anything...whew!
That would have wrecked my day, if it had gone it would have smashed into the magnolia I'd been working all afternoon not to damage!

On breezy days I will cut material off the top to add weight to my advantage, thin them out to catch less wind... And sometimes leave a stripped branch on the back side to help lever it over... When in doubt, tag line. Always have a wedge handy for set back.
Had one top set back on me once, I swore never again. We managed to throw it where I wanted, but it could have cost me a roof.

Attachments

• IMG_20120128_103645.jpg
    IMG_20120128_103645.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20120128_105504.jpg
    IMG_20120128_105504.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20120128_105726.jpg
    IMG_20120128_105726.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20120128_105756.jpg
    IMG_20120128_105756.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 9
Not much sucks worse than having a top set back on you in the tree. I've found that when aloft there's not usually room for a wedge in the backcut and if you've mis-judged a top it sets back and pinchs yah. Damn! Then it's time to start looking at your options, and that time between getting set-back on and getting it over to the face is about some of the worst time I've spent in a tree.

Knot eye? I thought Stephen meant he used a wedge, now I see he means he has one around just in case. Myself, I've wedged some huge tops from the bucket before were applicable. If climbing I now actually just make about 110% certain that there's no chance it can set-back on me by using the methods Stephen mentioned. I prefer to either set a pull line or climb it out to where it's not a concern anyways.

Exactly Justin. Had a steel wedge sent up to me as I had forgot mine (DOH!) and used lulls in the wind and some pushing to get it in the curf. Up came a tag line as well and I got that thrown up higher and got the crew on it. Saved my saw, the roof and my arse.
I misjudged my situation... Never again.
It is not SOP Butch.

Indeed.

Nothing quite as exciting as having to step up so the back cut is even with your knees and heave a setback top over by muscle, is there :\:. I seem to recall it is, anyway... :)

Indeed.

Nothing quite as exciting as having to step up so the back cut is even with your knees and heave a setback top over by muscle, is there :\:. I seem to recall it is, anyway... :)

Unless it's setting a line above you and then hustling to the ground to help the ground personnel pull it over....

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YStg-OhJx1o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This 70 second video shows me making a rookie mistake. Lowering out the top of this silver maple, I checked to see that the camera was rolling, BUT never looked up to see how the top was being effected by the wind. If I had been aware, I would have waited for a little lull in the breeze. Even though I was able to move the bucket out of harms way before the top let go, this type of mistake is not to be taken lightly. Its a clear sign of complacency which is a killer in this industry. On the micro level its clear that the wind can be a major concern, even when its relatively gentle. Looking at the bigger picture is important too. You only get so many close calls and near misses before something really bad happens. Anytime something like this happens on a tree job, its a wake up call.

Proud of you Daniel for posting this. It's a good lesson - really appreciate it..
Really glad you're OK and it worked out. Thanks again!!!

Did I hear you drop the F-bomb? :lol:
I would have launched a torpedo ... :O

The best line I ever heard in a Dirty Harry movie is when Clint says to a guy, "You won't believe what is happening while it is happening", though he wasn't talking about tree work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Daniel.

Went a whole lot better for me in the wind today. We were pruning plumb trees. ;) :lol:

Back