Excavators

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That dragline is yard art. My Dad and uncle bought it about 1995 or so...it was running then. Then they didn't use it for a long time...about 2001, we got the pony motor running for about 5 seconds and were close to starting the big motor to try to use it. My uncle that knew how to do all that then got very sick and project stopped. And it's still stopped. I would love to have it running...it would be perfect to clean out the canals and other stuff...but Alex thinks it is a lost cause. I have considered seeing if I could hire our Al here at the Treehouse to come down and get it running...I bet he would know how to do it.

Re: treework...we just take our chipper to jobs. We leave big wood on the site...maybe cut it up and roll it into the woods. We almost never haul big wood off. IF we have to move big stuff we use Alex's Kubota. He built forks for it and CAN move big wood but we avoid it as much as possible.

Attachments

• Kubota - Alex  (1).JPG
    Kubota - Alex (1).JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 14
  • Kubota - Alex  (2).JPG
    Kubota - Alex (2).JPG
    4 MB · Views: 12
  • Kubota - Alex  (3).JPG
    Kubota - Alex (3).JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 12
  • Kubota - Alex  (4).JPG
    Kubota - Alex (4).JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
  • Kubota - Alex  (5).JPG
    Kubota - Alex (5).JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 12
Thanks, Tom, for that input. The 290 does look like a powerhouse. Nice mulcher head there, too. Good info on mulching, enclosed cabs and windshield...had not parsed that out yet. Carl says same, too.

The 290 does great for the size machine that it is.
I am not aware of any operator who wished for less horsepower mulching trees.

Update....instead of buying an excavator I have bought a mulcher head...a Rockhound Defender FX 26. I will rent a Takeuchi TB260 to run it...the attachment folks I am getting the mulcher head from in ME rent that combination out. They said the 240 is OK but the 260 is best. The mulcher head should arrive in 10-14 days (took 8 weeks to get it ready).

We will use the excavator to repair dams where beavers have messed them up...and to dig out their mud deposits around the pond spillway. And the mulcher head should help keep the brush under better control. It has gotten out of control and chainsaws work but it's killer work.

Rockhound Defender FX26 mulcher.jpg

Rockhound Defender FX26 mulcher 2.jpg

Are you planning on getting an excavator down the road? Seems kinda weird to me buying a tool, but having to rent something to use it on. Not saying it doesn't make sense. It just isn't a mode of thought I've ever really pursued.

I suspect we will eventually end up buying an excavator...renting for now will let us not have to worry about maintenance. I'll rent it this summer for a month and we will put it thru the paces.

Alex and I will probably be doing some experimental logging with the mini-excavator. There are some pretty old and some big pines at our farm. Access is poor for a logging outfit...they line both sides of the dams around the pond...probably at least 60-90 nice trees. We are discussing dropping them ourselves and harvesting them before they eventually just fall into the pond or canal and go to waste. This is how one dam looked in 2009.

IMG_9234.JPG

This is how it looks today:

20210130_121704.jpg

20210130_113814.jpg

These are some of the trees that we need to log...this one north-south dam is about 1/4 mile long, trees both sides like this...pond to left, canal on right.

20210314_122723.jpg

Some of the dam we can get a tractor to...the mini-x will be used to help get access to areas where my grandfather used to take his tractor...the trees have encroached and narrowed access.

I've seen some videos of a mini-x snaking logs around...we are hoping that works for us, too.

When my folks took over the farm in the early 90's we could use a DR trimmer to maintain the dams...but that was a LOT of work, too...hand-propelled, slopes, etc. My cousin and I looked into getting a side scythe (what I call it) that would attach to his full size tractor and let us mow the dams, slopes and all...but that was at least $7,000. And would be kind of ungainly on dams in tight spots. The mulcher head should have good versatility.

After we rent a mini-x a few times we will have a better idea of what to actually buy down the road. And then we will be using it at the farm and up here at home (in the Atlanta area) for different projects...we should be able to find money-producing uses for a mini-x with bucket with thumb and mulcher head...treework, land clearing, digging, etc. I think the more we use it the more we will figure out HOW to use it. I can already foresee using it to set barn poles when we rebuild our pole barn.

In some ways we may be buying the cart before the horse. I have a retired firefighter (one of Alex's guys) headed to WI next week to pickup this trailer...for eventually hauling the mini-x. We need to consolidate his trailers...he has 3 different eqpt trailers..this one will take the place of at least 2 of them:

2021 B-B 83X22 Gravity Tilt Deck Equipment Trailer

I have seen these trailers up close....hard to find down here. Plenty of Gatormade, etc. that have a good reputation. But when we looked at the "popular" ones here that we could get the quality was nowhere near these. I have talked to the folks that make these trailers...at a factory where 16 of the folks all have the same last name...Behnke. They fuss about quality since their name is on it. We will be getting the spare tire and mount and a tongue toolbox to go on it. We are at least gonna look like we know what we are doing.... :D

I'm sure you know this and already have it covered, but you are quickly headed towards cdl requirements, which might/ might not be able to be handled with farm plates and the like. But if not you need to look into that as well, and make sure you are doing the required stuff so the dot doesn't have to "educate" you their way, aka fines.

I have only used a mini-x once for a few days...but what I could do with it...and me not knowing squat about them...was amazing. I used this TB235 to dig out the root structure and fell these largish oak trees...we built our new shop where the trees were.

4474 new building for lxsi  (20).jpg

Attachments

• 4474 new building for lxsi  (23).jpg
    4474 new building for lxsi (23).jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 4474 new building for lxsi  (24).jpg
    4474 new building for lxsi (24).jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 4474 new building for lxsi  (25).jpg
    4474 new building for lxsi (25).jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 4474 new building for lxsi  (32).jpg
    4474 new building for lxsi (32).jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 4474 new building for lxsi  (41).jpg
    4474 new building for lxsi (41).jpg
    5 MB · Views: 8
You are right, Kyle...we have been ciphering our way thru the CDL limits with all the 3-4 letter acronyms...GVW GVWR GCW etc. Alex has been thinking of replacing his 2001 GMC Sierra 2500. This path we are slowly paving will help drive his choices.

Just make sure you learn to use cat controls, so you won't be a heathen that uses those wierd deere controls :lol: when i run a wobble stick (deere) i have to run it crossed armed otherwise my brain can't compute

You are right, Kyle...we have been ciphering our way thru the CDL limits with all the 3-4 letter acronyms...GVW GVWR GCW etc. Alex has been thinking of replacing his 2001 GMC Sierra 2500. This path we are slowly paving will help drive his choices.

To be clear, even pulling that trailer empty will put you squarely in cdl territory, and every cop can tell that just by a glance. You add the combined gvw of the truck and the trailer, and if they are over 26k you need a class a cdl.

Does that mean you can select the type controls in the software of the excavators to use? Like QWERTY vs DVORAK?

Apparently flow directions, flow "stuff" and probably lots of other stuff is SW driven.

To be clear, even pulling that trailer empty will put you squarely in cdl territory, and every cop can tell that just by a glance. You add the combined gvw of the truck and the trailer, and if they are over 26k you need a class a cdl.

The new trailer is 5800 lbs, my truck is about 10K so that is ~~ 16,000 lbs combined weight, pulling it empty. I figure that allows me about 10K payload before I hit the CDL limit with my GMC 2500 crew cab, long bed truck. But I think the recommended max wt for me to pull is a 13,000 lb. trailer according to the owner's manual...a GCWR of 20,500.

I'm open to education.

Sierra 2500 tow weight info chart.jpg

Yes, but the trailer has 2 12k axles, meaning it likely has a sticker on it saying it's gvw is 24k. Your truck gvw is likely 12k. Even tho you are under the 26k in weight, the gcvw is 24 +12 = 36k, which is 10 k over the cdl requirement of 26k. The fine would likely be $10,000 if i remember correctly, because it used to be a dollar a pound for overweight. Basically there's a gcvw rule and then an overweight rule. You would be good on the weight rule, but your non cdl license would not be good for the combined weight combination, so they got you there. Then they could see that the truck you are using isn't rated to handle that much on a bumper pull setting, so even more (you need to look into what truck you want to pull that with, i think my 350 is only rated for an 18k bumper pull, everything heavier is 5th wheel or gooseneck). You also need a medical card, so if you/ the driver didn't have that even more fines. They would likely require a log book for interstate travel, possibly a mc or dot number because you are out of state, different insurance, etc. Basically all I'm saying is you need to be aware of all this crap because that's what it's come to anymore. There's a reason most people try to avoid cdl stuff like the plague, because a few idiots made them enact all these rules and so it's a giant pain anymore.

As far as the controls yeah most machines will have a switch that you can go from cat/excavator controls to deere/backhoe controls. If i remember right the machine you rented has it in a small compartment right as you get in the machine by the floor, secured with a lock so an idiot doesn't switch it on you for giggles if you go take a leak or something. I don't have a bunch of seat time in newer machines, but i have a 3 stick with foot swing backhoe that I'm pretty good with. When you are digging you are lifting the boom as you crowd with the dipper, and are trying to keep the bucket moving perfectly flat. This requires that you pull back on both levers in a synchronized manner, subtly adjusting which one's controlling what. The brain masters this brilliantly, much like a video game control. Well you get used to one arm doing one and the other doing the other, and it's very very hard to change that unless.... you cross your arms so the arms are doing their "proper" task :lol: you only need to do the arm cross thing if the machine can't change controls, and the old wobble stick backhoes require you to reroute hoses to change controls (giant headache), so for as little as I'm ever on one you just swap hands so you can still do stuff. The swing and curl are still messed up, but the main thing of moving in a flat plane is good so you can work safely. I've met some dudes that can run both, but they are definitely the exception to the rule and in construction where they are digging next to people and things you don't want hit, having the right controls is literally a life or death thing.

Does that mean you can select the type controls in the software of the excavators to use? Like QWERTY vs DVORAK?

Apparently flow directions, flow "stuff" and probably lots of other stuff is SW driven.

Control swapping is usually done with a selector valve when you have hydro pilot controls.

Awesome on the mulching head! Guess who's a dealer for Rockhound? 😂

CDL isn't that big of a deal. DOT enforcement can make a commercial vehicle miserable, luckily that's not a big deal here so far.

Overweight here starts at $.05/lb for the first 20klb, then it goes up to $.15/lb, best I recall. It's not my strong suit, but being out of your license class isn't the same as being overweight.

I'd lean farm as long as practical... but living in the top 10 biggest metro areas in the country probably means a heavy DOT involvement in your day to day experience.

Damn, Carl...no idea you might be a RH dealer!!!

Thanks, Kyle on the CDL analysis....I'll ponder it some more.

Back