Mini excavator

I'd go with dangling. Fixed grapples have their place, but I don't think tree work needs that (very often) given the downfalls.

One for an 18 ton machine? Sure, bring out the big check book though.

I'd go with dangling. Fixed grapples have their place, but I don't think tree work needs that (very often) given the downfalls.

One for an 18 ton machine? Sure, bring out the big check book though.

I think you want your dangler hanging off something else. Rigid is cool you can build rock walls also, not sure that there would be a downside to rigid doing tree work.

the 36" one is 7 grand & weighs about 300#, we can get a 50" also, weighs maybe 500 # not sure on price big bucks

Articulated loader

Wanted to know PCtree or anybody else that has firsthand experience, why the articulated loader is such a good choice for tree work. I find myself on the fence between a skidsteer loader( all wheel steering? perhaps?) articulated loader, like a Kubota 420 or 520, or even looking at the smallest Terex all wheel steer Telehandler(10,000 lbs). I realize every situation is different but we are trying to load wood chips into an open dumptruck that is 8ft to the top of the box from ground. Help out on the occasional job where we have lots of material and also access, and also use it to shuffle logs around the yard to our sawmill.

Hmmm?

Those little terex loaders are brutes. They seem to do pretty well on lawns. The extra reach comes in handy. A local timber framer here bought one and liked it so much he bought another.

The company I work for has a Kubota R520. I still havent made up my mind about the ideal overall piece of equipment, or if there is one, but heres why we like it:

- Zero lawn damage
-Decent load capability
-Great visibility
-Quiet
-Fairly light weight

The thing I like about it for loading/shuffling situations is the distance you sit from the work. Its comfortable, the visibility is great, and the overall operation is very smooth. I think it fits basically anywhere a skidsteer would.

My opinion is that if you're gonna have a skid, you have to have one of the big hoss's. I spent two hours this morning beating up on a new NH175, and walked away from it knowing I would never buy one. Just my .02$

Ewsa, thanks for the reply. Nh 175, is that like a bobcat 175? Work position and visibility I imagine is pretty important. Every time we load a truck with a skidsteer it seems you are literally right under the load at full height i.e. not so safe.
Today I demoed the Genie/Terex 5519 and it was tight. Booming out 19 ft could be nice for lifting out over fences and also for grapple use. The 4 wheel drive steer was nice. The aux. hyd to the quick attach was 18.5 gpm . I have yet to drive a r520, do you find that it can lift a good size log?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN1833.jpg
    DSCN1833.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 47
I'm not sure if the New Holland 175 is like the bobcat 175, I think its just a 75hp midsized machine is that helps at all. The r520s working lifting cap. is 2200lbs, which is fine for 98% of what we do, so yeah it can lift a good sized log. hydraulic output to the fronts is only 15.6gpm so that might limit you if youre gonna run a lot of attatchments. We run a bucket with aftermarket grapple on it, and it works like a charm. If we have something real round, we take the bucket off and choke it to the mounting plate.

I think the r520 is perfect for what we use it for: material handling with a grapple.

I figured I would bump this thread from the depths.

I bought an excavator in mid February, with the hopes to expand my services and increase annual bottom line. I didn't have any specific work for the excavator, but I decided to roll the dice and bought a 2010 Kubota KX121-3 with a 6 way blade, quick attach, and thumb. Thus far I've put about 75 hours on the machine. By comparison I've only put ~88 on my AL540 since mid August.

I figured I would use it for land clearing, drainage, etc, but was surprised at how handy it is for handling tree debris, especially on larger trees. It radically reduces the labor associated with processing a tree as well as reducing the time involved. It's not an efficient forwarder, only a handler. Also, if I could only have one machine for tree work, it would be the loader. The loader is far more efficient at forwarding material, as well as being able to handle heavier material with more ease.

So far I have used the excavator to dig out quite a few stumps, remove hundreds of bushes, loaded logs into a portable sawmill, got a tree off some cars, as well as loaded out the trailer removing quite a few large trees. On the books I have one large job carefully clearing for a house and driveway, another job cleaning up fallen trees, a small demo job that's part of a tree job, a grubbing job that's part of a tree job. It's amazing how quickly you can put hours on the machine as compared to the loader, I figure with my current work, I'll put another 100 hours on the ex.

I'm excited about the possibilities it will open with new avenues of work as well as the increase in efficiency handling tree debris (even more competitive). In combination with the loader, we can handle a wide range of work without excessive manual labor. If you're a removal based company, and already have a loader, an excavator could be a worthy investment. My break even point is roughly 11 hours per month.

IMG_6914.jpg

They guy I used to work for was really good at thinking outside the box. He built a mount plate to attach his auger onto his ex, really good for digging sump pits, we did escape wells in basements, used it a lot in concrete removal in confined areas, the thumb really shined on those jobs. Used it to place railroad ties on retaining walls, dug utility lines in for people and my favorite day EVER! "This will just be a two hour job, Andy, in and out, dig up the tree, fix the damage to the sewer line and we are done!"
Started at 9am, with storms moving in, finished at 10pm, in sleet, rain, hail and snow! They had built an addition on the house that settled and sheared off the sewer line, the tree didn't have anything to do with it! Dug it all up, put in a new line and it was working when we left. I was so wet I had to wring out my underwear and my phone didn't work right for three days! No time to change, or prepare, had to keep going and get it done as they had a new born and that was important to him!
Anyway, I'm rambling, just think a bit outside the box and you'll be amazed at what else you can do with it, Carl!

Back