Elevator Altec vs Hi Ranger

• Thread starter wpt texas
  • Start date
  • Replies 59
  • Views 13K
W

wpt texas

Can anyone share experience with ALTEC LRV60e70 or HI RANGER 60/70 REAR MOUNT ELEVATOR

Although I am non-mechanized , I would still like to welcome you to TreeHouse .... there are alot of bucket owner / operators around here you will probably get some info shortly !

not sure what your askin but ive run the high ranger elevator. incredibly usefull imo, but there are so many hinge points id think over time it would wear bad. bucket/boom starts to feel a little sloppy when the elevators up because of this. it doesnt work as much as the boom itsself because you only ues it when you need the high reach or to move your oom up a little more to clear that branch so you can slide in

I have an Altec AM855 (60 foot, non elevator, material handler) and it's heavy as shit for a 60' bucket. Curb weight is over 28k lbs. I've seen the elevator trucks similar to mine working the high wires and those trucks gotta be pushing 35k lbs.

Regardless, I'm inclined toward the Altec only because I've owned two and they are the strongest unit going. Probably not much help for your specific question but I'm tossing it out there anyway. :P

And ditto above, welcome to the Treehouse! :)

If your buying one I would encourage you to test an Aerial Lift of Conn w/14' elevator.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the info and the welcomes as well. I was about to pull the trigger yesterday on either the altec or high ranger elevator. Liked something about both, and disliked something on both also. I'm from deep southeast texas and clay soils are a problem half the time( weight a big factor). Thanks to this site I decided to hold off and look at the MAT-3 70 as suggested by Dave at TOP NOTCH TREE. That is one fine machine from what I gather from specs and the men using them that I talked with today. Real pricy--but I look at it as investment and not expense. Hope I can work a deal tomorrow or I'll be contributing to HOPE & ChANGE in 2009. BW in Texas

I have an Altec AM855 (60 foot, non elevator, material handler) and it's heavy as shit for a 60' bucket. Curb weight is over 28k lbs. I've seen the elevator trucks similar to mine working the high wires and those trucks gotta be pushing 35k lbs.
:)

Hey skwerl does your 60' hdler look like this? I love that old trk . . . but my MAT 70 kicks its ass!!

Welcome to the Blasters house Brett, congrats on the good year.

Kinda nice when tax evasion forces you to get a great new tool !!

If you don't drain the mattress talk to me about a mini forwarder

Attachments

• 07-01Ellmremoval13.JPG
    07-01Ellmremoval13.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Will do brother, and thanks for the tip. Brent in Texas

Dueling buckets, I have no great MAT pixs.

But Note the squirt boom (on the left) is barely extended maybe has another 12' of extension. Thing has awsome reach

Attachments

• 07-01Ellmremoval31.JPG
    07-01Ellmremoval31.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 18
Mine's an 01, I bought it last Feb. to replace the '89 GMC (the original Rockymobile that I sold to Stumper last summer).

I really need to get some better pics of the new truck on the job. Here's a picture of the old one, and a picture of it with it's new owner in colorado. 8)

Real pricy--but I look at it as investment and not expense. Hope I can work a deal tomorrow or I'll be contributing to HOPE & ChANGE in 2009. BW in Texas

Welcome to the Treehouse. I fly a Versalift so am apparently left out of this discussion. But I would not look at a piece of machinery as an investment, it's an expense as in the end if you get the use out of it that you want it's worthless.

That must be Canadian business sense.

Down here I invest money into equipment, it makes me money, hopefully giving me an insane return on investment. Sure it depreciates, and that's an expense, but it's still an investment. If it costs you more to run it than it's making you, then it's a poor investment that shows itself as an expense.

Bahh machinery is not an investment to me. It's an expense, money made off of operating it is revenue. Machinery is an asset that depreciates, investments apreciate imo.

Investing: the act of investing; laying out money or capital in an enterprise with the expectation of profit.

You're clearly doing something different than that!

Different takes on the same scenario on my balance sheet my equipment is listed as assets not investments. My business venture as a whole is an investment that I've made. The individual pieces of equipment are depreciating assets. We can argue semantics all you'd like or we could agree to disagree.:)

Carl, from an accounting perspective Justin is 100% correct. Pretty much all equipment is a depreciating asset. It will never be worth more than you paid for it (there are exceptions). What increases is your income generating ability.

I'm looking at the capital spent to buy the asset, you're talking about the asset itself.

I can dig it :)

Back