Elevator Altec vs Hi Ranger

• Thread starter wpt texas
  • Start date
  • Replies 59
  • Views 13K
6 moving minutes per tree, will take less than 2 minutes per tree to setup and break down.

It's been 4 months or so since I've seen the trees, but I can't imagine more than an hour and a half on the machine.

ETA: Only going after big deadwood, just gotta get it to the ground. Each tree will probably take 30 minutes (a guess), and depending on the situation, I might swing out of the basket to get something on the far side.

I'm meeting them between 8-9 on Monday, about a little less than an hour's drive. As long as I'm home before 5 and I get lunch, I'm happy. I am the lowest and most qualified bid, she was floored when I said I could do it in a day. What do they think, I work for peanuts? :D

I was stationary quite a bit when I was using my lift to paint my house and hanging gutters. For tree work, not in one place for long unless I have to climb out of the bucket to work a section not reachable by the bucket.

My take on the spiderlift vs bucket issue is this. Get both if you can afford it. If most of your work can be accessed by a bucket truck, get that. If not, get the spiderlift. 50/50 mix, get the spiderlift.

Where I live, most of my work cannot be reached by a bucket truck. No way to get a bucket truck to any of the places in the pictures, which was easily accessed by the spiderlift.

Attachments

• DSCN1574.JPG
    DSCN1574.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN1901.JPG
    DSCN1901.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Tight setup.jpg
    Tight setup.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 11
6 moving minutes per tree, will take less than 2 minutes per tree to setup and break down.

It's been 4 months or so since I've seen the trees, but I can't imagine more than an hour and a half on the machine.

ETA: Only going after big deadwood, just gotta get it to the ground. Each tree will probably take 30 minutes (a guess), and depending on the situation, I might swing out of the basket to get something on the far side.

I'm meeting them between 8-9 on Monday, about a little less than an hour's drive. As long as I'm home before 5 and I get lunch, I'm happy. I am the lowest and most qualified bid, she was floored when I said I could do it in a day. What do they think, I work for peanuts? :D

I must be missing something, because that math doesn't add up right for me. Are you just using the lift to access your TIP? When I'm doing a prune with the bucket, I spend a lot more time moving around than I do cutting. That's why I asked about the maneuvering speed; I think the Spider would slow me down.

It's not a fine prune. If I get one side done and there's just a piece or two on the other side of the tree that I can't reach, I'll swing over and get it.

I'll keep track when I do the job and report back.

I rarely stationary when I'm flying a bucket.

I am if im setting ropes and such.. Tuesday was a good example, we had the truck in one spot almost all day, pulling a bunch of overhang off a large maple over the top of a 3 phase. Seemed like it would take 15 minutes sometimes to get a rope set to cut some of them. 56' lift. straight up, the last cuts took three 6 foot pruner poles and a saw attachment on them to make the cuts.

Another plus with having a truck would be wintertime. Got a nice warm place to get in out of the cold when dinner time comes around.

Attachments

• Chastain%20Job%20023.jpg
    Chastain%20Job%20023.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Chastain%20Job%20021.jpg
    Chastain%20Job%20021.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 4
Welcome to the house Wpt. I have no info to offer regarding a comparison of the Altec and the HiRanger elevators but I do have an aquaintanc ein Durango that bought a 60'boom on a 10 foot elevator a couple of years ago. He loves it. One of the big pluss according to Tom besides the added working height on big trees is the ability to drop into the tops of shorter trees from above instead of trying to thread up into them from below. I can certainly envision how handy that would be on many of the trees I work on.

Back