Effective way to haul debris up a steep hill

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
Today we removed an Ash tree on a super steep hill. Luckily that was at the top.... sort of. All of that debris is already gone but the customer wants a bug pile of old wood hauled away. My plan was to use our DR Powerwagon but the hill is too steep for that. He has "low mow" grass flanked by mulch beds on either side of his property. There are not any ways that I saw to rig ropes to pull the wood up so I am wondering if anyone knows of any machinery that might work on real steep ground to haul the wood out.

The bottom of the hill is on a major river and I was thinking about contacting a dock company and see if they contract out their barge so we could just pile it up on that and load it onto our trailer at the boat launch.

ol' T Hoffmann has this video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/16sCE1uT2YQ?list=UUxi750QpS-BdERuk74LpC_w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

probably a bit involved and equipment heavy but you never know.

Can you use your power barrow and have a rope at the too hooked to a truck to help pull it up the hill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unfortunately there is nothing tall enough to rig off of. I also didn't mention that the pile of wood the customer wants gone is cut, split, and rotting cottonwood firewood.

I'd toss that tiny stick on my shoulder and walk it up the hill. :drink:

Attachments

• johnstewart 2.jpg
    johnstewart 2.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 104
If it were my property, I would burn it on the river in winter.

Hard to say without pics. Possibly set up a tripod as a rigging point ? I wonder why the guy cares. Sounds like going down to the river would be easier and more fun. If u got two canoes u could build a makeshift catamaran to hold debri

Could you put it in a sled of some sort and just pull it up with some form of mechanical advantage? Must be an end or an access to it at some point. Truck anchor or stake anchor if nothing else?

This thread 1stly brings to my mind that it's ok to refuse some types of work. Hauling rotting cottonweed out of a hillside? I hope you have a hefty rate on it.

Good suggestions. There is just nothing to anchor off of. Easiest would be a Jet Sled or something hauled up with the GRCS and a drill. I couldn't imagine a way to pull the sled up with a vehicle. No access except a gate that's about 45" wide.

The guy is willing to pay just about anything. He bought the house with the pile there and just wants it gone. Hard to blame him as these are pretty nice properties.
I have a hard time saying no because we got this job after several referrals from our competitors.

So it's just real rocky ground or something then? Could you wrap rope/slings around any kind of an outcrop or something?

I highlead cable logged for a looong time. There's a way to rig it to haul something up a hill if you've got something to pull with and imagination. You mentioned a river, there's gotta be trees or greenery around somewhere. You mentioned it was a real nice property. Are there trees out of line that could be rigged to make a floating anchor?

...I am an expert at jobs no one else wants. Have two jet sleds. Sounds like all you need is a sled , some good boots , and the strength plus patience to make as many trips uphill as it takes to dissapear pile. I call these jobs hard way production.

Pics help on this sorta thing. 3 4x4' posts to make a tripod, guyed back, up top. Tie to what you have at river, as high as possible. Controlled spelling uphill. Grcs and drill for power.

Jack's slow line video... Take ideas from it as applicable.

Take pics.

Go hourly.

How long of a haul, how big of a pile?

I've done both the barge thing across a bay to a dock, and the wrap it in a tarp and haul it up the hill on your back...if the client can afford it the barge is nicer, by far.

Back