DRT climb line tie-in on a spar?

Right,every person is different for sure.
I don't consider non retrievable options cause i want me gear regardless lol,if im bailout it's for a damn fine reason and more than likely no one else goin up,especially to get my gear. I do however tie off srt and ddrt,both always in a retrievable manner. That being said using ddrt on a spar makes it so i have a single hanging line,that cuts my odds of gaffing my line in 1/2 😬

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That being said using ddrt on a spar makes it so i have a single hanging line,that cuts my odds of gaffing my line in 1/2 ��

Sorry to be dense, Samuel, but I don't follow you here...

If you're using DRT through an adjustable friction saver on the spar, aren't there still two hanging lines? Or are you referring to a different DRT technique?

Sorry to be dense, Samuel, but I don't follow you here...

If you're using DRT through an adjustable friction saver on the spar, aren't there still two hanging lines? Or are you referring to a different DRT technique?

If in srt on a spar removal and to be retrievable,there will be two lines hanging around your gaffing area,in traditional ddrt/drt whatever its is being called,one end of the rope is terminated at your harness so there is only one leg of the rope to possibly spike into,I really try not to though 😱

If it's something minor,i may not care to have it retrievable and will just choke it off with a biner,as others have stated. When doing removals though i find myself using ddrt for the retrievable factor making it simpler in my case.

If in srt on a spar removal and to be retrievable,there will be two lines hanging around your gaffing area,...

A way to avoid this when working the spar with a choked SRT line is to clip the tail of your line into a carabiner that is attached at the spar choke.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
in traditional ddrt/drt whatever its is being called,one end of the rope is terminated at your harness so there is only one leg of the rope to possibly spike into

Duh! Like I said, "dense"... :|:

Thanks!

I just clip the free hanging rope legs in a biner on the back of my saddle when chunking down a spar. On very very rare occasions (like unobservant and uncaring ground crew or a dense canopy/ extremely pitchy tree) I'll have the rope in a backpack, used as a bailout backup and not climbing off it.

I mostly climb with my rope bagged and with me. Too much untangling the rope.

Some of you have messed my climb line went into the chipper on an easy day, AFTER explicitly stating to my FORMER employee twice, and having it repeated back to me that it needs not to happen.

I one trust groundies with my life any more than necessary.

A rope in the ground or dangling, slows the show down.

This ^ is an interesting method that could be applied in few different applications. 👍🏽

P.S.

I run my rope in a bag on my left, rear hip, balancing out the saw on my right hip. I clip the tail of my climb line through my left-side handsaw biner, this allows some rope to hang without pulling itself out of the bag, and without me constantly feeding it back into the bag. There is always time to stack rope back in the bag while waiting on groundies, as need be.

If my bag is on the ground, and not clipped though a biner on my hip, I can feel the rope on top of my boot, leading to the outside. I drag my spurs up the tree a bit. I don't even think of spiking my rope, really.

How much weight does having all your climb line in a bag hanging off your butt add to the equation?
That would drive me crazy!

How much weight does having all your climb line in a bag hanging off your butt add to the equation?
That would drive me crazy!

Does drive me crazy....When I have the bag of climbing rope on my hip I don't like it much either...especially moving through limbs...just one more thing to get hung up. But sometimes it's necessary...I just don't like it.

I prefer backpack, but I've done rope in a bag off the saddle, no big deal, reminds me of my old army days wearing 84 pattern webbing with gas mask sack when Saddam was gonna gas the world.

Working about my rope getting into the chipper again is reinforcement for me to carry my rope. Branches are always fouling my rope. I wait on ground crew enough, as is. SRT you can get be with less rope and make it to the ground. Basal ties can "use up" excess rope, leaving your rope tail just reaching the ground.

That much rope, as a percentage of body weight, is less significant to me, Fi, than you.

.... Basal ties can "use up" excess rope, leaving your rope tail just reaching the ground...

As can a retrievable canopy anchor. Having just a small amount of rope touching the ground is not only safer, it can't physically reach the chipper, it makes climbing so much easier by reducing weight and tangles. Unlike DdRT all it takes is a quick look to know if you have enough rope to make it down without coming off the end of your line.

What if you do a redirect SRT and then need to do an emergency descent? If you started with the rope just touching the ground, aren't you now "short" and won't have enough to reach the ground?

Back