Drought observations

cory

Tree House enthusiast
We in CT seem to have a pretty strong drought going, its been hot and dry for awhile (I don't have the scientific duration parameters)

In the past week or so, I've noticed the following:

Most street side american dogwoods are really struggling, showing lots of brown or browning leaves or appearing fully dead and all brown leaves.

Large white pines seem to have suddenly (in the past 2 weeks) put out large crops of pine cones.

Black birches in the woods and elsewhere showing lots of brown leaves, some appear to be dead with all brown leaves. Next season of course will reveal whether these various trees die. I've noticed in past droughts that B birches are vulnerable to drought.3

Beeches seem to be not particularly worse off re BLD as compared to last summer when it first appeared. Most beeches have it but some appear unaffected, 80/20 ratio I'd guess.

Lots of ferns in the woods seem to have died in large groups and afaik they'd normally be alive this time of year.

Hemlocks showing thinning canopies as well as clumps of yellowing, soon to be dead, needles near branch tips which is of course where the best growth should be occurring.

All unirrigated lawns are browned out.

Who else has noted damage from the recent drought? Btw this drought followed a very cool and wet spring.

Dry here too ("moderate drought" state says) we finally did get a little rain , but not that much considering ... still watering the garden every day.

Last edited:
About normal here from my casual observation. Dunno what the "official" word is. This time of year can be pretty dry, but we've had more water than we've had in other dry years. Nothing to be concerned about for the time being.

We've had several dry years here, but are above average by an inch or so on precip this year.

I have noted a decrease in geese, ducks, insects, & swallows this year though. Geese & duck that have always returned to ponds both at home and at the golf course are nowhere to be seen this year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Damn!

We came home from the around-the-world jaunt to find all the lawns in our area except those with irrigation browned out.
The young Latino fellow who was going to cut our grass (I had fixed his mower but didn't charge him) forgot when we were due back and had not cut it in quite some time, so ours was and is fairly green all around!
The birch trees are shedding some of their leaves, the garden isn't doing too bad - green beans, peppers and tomatoes seem to be loving the heat, we harvested the remaining carrots and beets, and reseeded for fall carrots and a few other items that will be under the hoop house once the frosts arrive. The Autumn squash plants all dried up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Btw, tulip trees are shedding alot of leaves. No doubt they will basically all survive but it is an unusual occurrence this time of year

Someone has streams and ponds?
Right there near with ya Jimbo.
Dropping off the animals at fair tonight. 4 days of fun and over 100* heat. We'll see who survives to be sold and butchered

We're parched here in the armpit. Haven't had any significant rain in going on 10+ weeks. Most lawns are browned, and lots of Maples and Poplars are having leaves brown out. Noticed some significant die back on Spruces and Firs as well. Every county in the state has been put on drought alert.

Truth
Left out the conservationists In the info as well. That also plays into regulation and building infrastructure.
Our storage was built based on population and farming before I was born and really never caught up to our population growth or farming needs. Water to the seas and cities. Let flow.
We provide a shat ton of produce to this nation and world. Meat too.

Back