Dropping a tree on a tractor

Arguing with an engineer
is like wrestling with a pig:
you both get dirty, and after a while,
you realize that the pig enjoys it.

:P

In 1962 I rode on the train from Sacramento to New York. 3 days of being couped up for a 9 year old. Then in about 1980 me and some drinking buddies took the train from Riverbank to Reno to party on new years eve and then rode back on new years day. Sort of our designated driver plan. The sierra nevada is beautiful that time of year.

In 1962 I rode on the train from Sacramento to New York. 3 days of being couped up for a 9 year old. Then in about 1980 me and some drinking buddies took the train from Riverbank to Reno to party on new years eve and then rode back on new years day. Sort of our designated driver plan. The sierra nevada is beautiful that time of year.

They sound like some good memories. Wish there were trains connecting this area to the rest of the country.

For some reason or another every time I rode a train while I was in the Navy I got intoxicated . Too many nice people that wanted to buy the sailor boy a drink or three I guess .:|:

My longest train trip was from Gaborone Botswana to Cape Town South Africa and back.That trip had Diesel , Steam and Electric Locomotives.A rather cool adventure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got to ride in a locomotive twice. Once in a switching yard and once out on an actual run. I was hanging out the window checking it all out. It's amazing what you get to do when you know the right people!

not much train experience here, a one hour trip from vancouver to squamish on the Royal Hudson
image4.jpg
and a few hour trip in Holland
train.jpg
about 20 years ago. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I jumped a freight train with a couple buddys in college. It was evening when we saw a train stopped in the valley down below the college. Train guys were walking the train looking at the cars. We found an open car and jumped in before the train took off. Albany Schenectedy and Troy were close by and I thought the train would stop there. Wrong!!! It started getting dark and we realized what the train guys were looking for was a wheel bearing on the car we were on. The whole wheel got red hot. Scary. After about 2 hours of 40 mph non stop travel I decided we better jump off. There were 2 sets of tracks and when we met a train coming at us on the other tracks our train slowed to 20 mph. I said next time we slow down let's jump. We were 80 miles from home and it took us all night to hitchhike home. We were the news subject of the morning as none of us made it to class untill afternoon.

My buddy came to visit at college and wanted to do a great train ride too. I jumped on a movin train no problem. He was pudgy and when he tried to jump on we was on the pivot point of his belly. He was losing the war with gravity and was going to end up under the wheels. I grabbed the door frame with one hand and his belt with the other and dragged his fat ass up into the car. The train went about 100 yards and stopped for an extended time. We gave up and called it a lucky night that he still had both legs. Ah the good old days!!

What an adventure! I've never hopped a train before, I bet you're the only one here who has! Tre Cool!

Back