Do you think you might like THIS climbing job???

• Thread starter ClimbingFool
  • Start date
  • Replies 61
  • Views 6K
C

ClimbingFool

About 6 years ago I was with a small group of guys training folks AR on towers. This was their job. DSC09325.jpg DSC09325.jpg DSC09324.jpg DSC09324.jpg DSC09324.jpg DSC09314.jpg

Guess I have a few repeats...sorry

I was talking to some guys that were doing similar tasks, moving through town and adding height extensions to the high voltage towers. You have to get used to it, then it is no big deal, is basically what they said. They were working very high up, swarming over the towers and lines.

I'd love it! I thought I wanted to be a tower builder fellow until I realized how much traveling was required for that career. So far I've changed the lights on a 300' and 425' foot tower. It was an amazing rush at the top. No rungs or tie-ins, either... you climbed the actual tower. I was told to jump onto it to prevent some kinda static shoed. 200 bucks cash, back around 1980.

I'd love it! I thought I wanted to be a tower builder fellow until I realized how much traveling was required for that career. So far I've changed the lights on a 300' and 450' foot tower. It was an amazing rush at the top. No rungs or tie-ins, either... you climbed the actual tower. I was told to jump onto it to prevent some kinda static shoed. 200 bucks cash, back around 1980.

Damn! So, you were free climbing up there...Not tied in at all?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
These guys are painters...which may change your mind...:P... They had a death the year before. One of the interior braces broke and a fella fell to his death. MI OSHA shut this group down. So our job was to go in and re write a program that would suit MI OSHA by teaching them current standard techniques in climbing gear, safety and Aerial rescue. I used to have quite a few AR pics, but I lost them during a computer crash... :cry:

Quite the experience actually watching these guys work. That's an extremely heavy Zinc Oxide paint which they paint on with gloves at about 8mm thick.The more experienced fellas would use two mittens and the newer guys would only get one. It's a twenty year paint. They could crank out about two to three of these towers a day, sometimes more if they were working right down the row. They are very gray, when done working at days end. :lol:

Yea, free climbing, no tie in whatsoever. I had my saddle and lanyard for when I arrived at the top. I thought about packing my rope for rapelling, but said frig it. The fellow told me nobody else used ropes and that woulda been extra weight to carry up there.
When I started my ascent, I tried doing it on the inside of the tower, but after a hunnert feet I was getting tired of climbing in such cramped quarters. I hollered at the guy "Is this how everyone else does it?" and he said "No, they climb on the outside" so I got out there and then I was really able to move.

The view from the top was fricking incredible, especially from the taller one. I sure wished I hada camera, but people didn't pack those around in those days.

Some electric tower workers were killed here a couple years back when what they were replacing broke away due to rust, i think it was three guys. It forced some needed changes in procedure, too late.

They should use climblines for doing that. Maybe not to much benefit for the top arms. but surely for the lateral support on the lower ones.

Crotch hopping sucks, but sometimes you got to do it.

Cool pic.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ENYdx.jpg
    ENYdx.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 54
LOL
I don't know if I would do that well at heights like in that pic. Maybe you just get used to it. That and being exposed like that. Tree canopy always makes me feel safe and like in a mothers arms.

I have known more than one climber that was a magician within the crown, but was stuttering, shaking, and next to frozen with fear on a clear stem 100 feet off the ground with nothing for limbs around them.

Back