Yesteryear Saws

Again. Some electric tools are great. Just can't log with them. Still need displacement.
And electric tools are useless if you cant charge them. We have brown outs constantly and only getting worse. Not to mention no power for at least a week or more due to fires. Solar only goes so far.
Heard good things about the weed wackers. Ground man has a DeWalt blower. I paid a little less than he did for my back pack that moves wayyyyyy more air. And he bought the weed wacker. Claims he loves it..
Usually, once one battery runs out, its time for a beer anyway. But I dont drink.

10cc smaller. Faster than stock 288 but not nearly the grunt. Odd ergos too. For me bucking saw not felling saw.
I've got a few 288s left from when I cut a lot dragging them through the woods in the 90s and 2000s
the 288 ported by mike lee is my favorite
I don't run them much at all anymore.
Since I discovered ported 66-75cc saws
15 year's ago That's all I run we have little tree's
IMG_20230403_133343384_HDR.jpg
That's my brother's last saw a 288 lite before he retired his timber business
That's my old 394 IMG-20230320-160106093-HDR.jpg
It's funny to me the local shops can't service 2 series
My neighbor had this 288 to three shops and they couldn't figure it out
They still charged him diagnostic fees.
I put new seals and carb kit,fuel line in it
That's all it needed
I can buy it anytime I'd want it.
Lowtops rule

Last edited:
If I ever see a nice 181 I'll snag it
That's a fine running saw I wish I'd have kept some when the 281/288s came out I sold them off.

Stihl equivalent would have been the 064, I think. I have one in basically unadulterated form, and it is a lovely beast. Plenty of torque, loads. Pulls 32-36" bars without complaint. Put a 25 inch bar on it and you have a tiger by the tail. Less AV than modern saws offer, for sure.

I love mine, but I don't have to make a living falling timber with it. If I did, I'd probably have something different. Firewooding, or as needed use for an arb...be a great saw still.
I'm no stihl guy but if I can buy a very nice 064 off my cousin I will
That and early 066s were the only stihls I ran that I liked
We ran husky 181/281/288s and jonsereds 920/930s for timber saws.

Except that they for some obscure reason doesn't make it with heated handles.
After 45 years of running saws, the circulation in my fingers is so poor, I need that in winter.

Again. Some electric tools are great. Just can't log with them. Still need displacement.
And electric tools are useless if you cant charge them. We have brown outs constantly and only getting worse. Not to mention no power for at least a week or more due to fires. Solar only goes so far.
Heard good things about the weed wackers. Ground man has a DeWalt blower. I paid a little less than he did for my back pack that moves wayyyyyy more air. And he bought the weed wacker. Claims he loves it..
Usually, once one battery runs out, its time for a beer anyway. But I dont drink.
Displacement is not the problem, energy density is. Electric will have a huge torque advantage because as the rpm of an electric motor decreases, the torque increases. Electric motor power density is more or less right around the same as a gas engine, but a battery that is the same size as a tank of gas will only hold something like 1/20-1/50 the energy as gas. You don't notice it as much in small low power tools for various reasons.

I would gladly have an electric equivalent of a 90cc saw, if the battery held the same amount of energy as 25oz of gas without weighing more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Except that they for some obscure reason doesn't make it with heated handles.
After 45 years of running saws, the circulation in my fingers is so poor, I need that in winter.
Want a ported 2188 with heated handle? 😁 I have been unsuccessful in converting it to power the fans in my hard hat.

Want a ported 2188 with heated handle? 😁 I have been unsuccessful in converting it to power the fans in my hard hat.
How many volts and watts do you get out of it? You might need to use stronger magnets and more or fewer wire turns, or a different winding termination, or different phase count. I can think of a lot of ways of getting either a lot more voltage or a lot more amperage or even both out of it. The main risk you run is burning out the windings because they are already mounted on a hot engine with little cooling.

Went to the trade show yesterday and tried out both Stihl and Husqvarna battery brush cutters.
Burnham is right, they are noisy!
Also a battery lasts 40 minutes and takes 35 to recharge.

So, even with solar panels on the truck, that idea is not going to work.
So we'll stick to gas power.

It was a lousy trade show, mostly geared towards gardeners and such.
I think if one was the type to get a hard-on from looking at lawn mowers, it was ok.
Wasn't much of interest for us.

I had told the crew, they could each shop for $500, but they only found one thing worth buying.

Cheap dates, all of them.

That thing was a 3 foot long recoilless hammer for beating on felling wedges.
Be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

Back