Do you backup for a descent?

• Thread starter Blinky
  • Start date
  • Replies 33
  • Views 4K
It was just a general comment Willie,

Though I've never use a the rack myself, I do see the advantage over a Fig#8 on very long decents.

I was thinking that with the setup I showed in my first post, you never have to untie from your climbline to set up for a decent. Just add a fig#8 below your hitcth off your saddle and go... simple.

For that matter, you could even tie a Munter on a biner and not have to spend any money on an 8 or a rack!

Hmmm. maybe I'm just cheap & simple?:/::P

HC

sorry folks, someone's gotta say it... backing up ddrt like Bob posted is just silly.... but to each their own.

I don't think it's silly if the descent is a long one. I don't like to do 120 ft descents on just my knot alone because it wears out my prusik cord too fast. I pust the 8 on the line below my VT just like Bob does so the 8 will take most of the friction and make my cord last longer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I'm over 60' or 70' I disconnect the hitch, pull out the eight and rap down to save my hitch cord. I never learned to back up on descent.

Back in the old days we used to rappel 100'+ waterfalls for fun, did it with beginners even, but we kept a belayer for'em on the rope at the bottom... had a girl get her hair caught in the rig once... not fun, had to come down to her and cut it out with a pocket knife.

If I'm over 60' or 70' I disconnect the hitch, pull out the eight and rap down to save my hitch cord. I never learned to back up on descent.

Back in the old days we used to rappel 100'+ waterfalls for fun, did it with beginners even, but we kept a belayer for'em on the rope at the bottom... had a girl get her hair caught in the rig once... not fun, had to come down to her and cut it out with a pocket knife.

Brownie points. 8)

Back