Do you backup for a descent?

• Thread starter Blinky
  • Start date
  • Replies 33
  • Views 4K
B

Blinky

This is cross posted on TB.

I'm curious if anybody backs up when they rappel or lower on a hitch. I don't, I just never have except when practicing coming off a spar emergency style with a hitch and an eight on SRT.

If you do, what do you use as the backup?

I don't normally, but I sure did when I was coming down from the redwoods and giant sequoia, that's a looooong rappel.
I used a loop of frictioncord in a traditional prusic fastened to the legloop of my harness with a dogleash snap.

Like above, i don't at work. Burnham showed us the back up for the long decents at the west coast GTG so I do use it on rec climbs SRT

Ever since I fell I sure do. I normally just toss my flipline around the trunk for my backup. On really long descents I will put a fig 8 onto my line below my VT to make my prusik cord last longer, which is also sort-of a backup.

Normal day at work.. mostly no.. Once I get about 60 plus feet... Yes... I just use my VT or a tradition prussic. I like what Burnam showed us and I use it from my leg loop now. I also have the luxury of having Rob tend my tail on decent. All he has to do is pull on the rope to stop me while on the 8. I very rarely (all most never) climb alone.

Not on DbRT, yes on SRT, unless I'm using an auto lock device like the I'D.

If the rappel system is in free running mode if you go hands off, then you really ought to be backed up some way. A prusik under the descender or a belayer on the ground is easy to deploy.

Full disclosure: I am strict about this when I'm instructing, or during operational climbing where less experienced climbers can observe my technique. Under other conditions, for RQ3 or standard rescue 8 rappels SRT, under 75 or maybe 100 feet...I have been known to rap bare :). Fast is fun, now and then.

That doesn't make it a good idea ;).

A prusik under the descender

You showed me this while we were in CA Burnham, and I've used it on every SRT descent I have done since then. I think that is the best tweak to my climbing system I've made in a year or more. Thanks again for that.

I think I mentioned this before on another thread.

Going up I use the Blakes hitch and a Pantin foot ascender.

Going down, I just attach a Fig.8 thats backed up by a loose Blakes hitch, (the same one I climbed up on)! Best of all, you never have to untie your Blakes hitch thus keeping you safe!

Also, if something happens to your hand that controls the 8, the Blakes will stop you!

Come to think about it, if you do injur you hand that controls the Fig-8, you can still get down by using you other hand with the Blakes!

Simple!!!

HC

Attachments

• pics from disc (2006-2007) 027.jpg
    pics from disc (2006-2007) 027.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 74
For SRT decent, I'll set up like this.

Attachments

• P8150068.jpg
    P8150068.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 7
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4okcM3tqgdo&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4okcM3tqgdo&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yeah, sure. I don't usually rap that far single line though. SRT decent is usually reserved for the last bit of spar on a takedown.

When we climbed that big hickory in Asheville, I put a footlock prussik above my figure 8 as a back up. That was about a 80 ft decent.

This is from the GTG that Burnam set me up with .. He was letting me use a rack but it will work with an 8 etc. This allows for a one hand free descent.

Attachments

• Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 10
Back