Dash Cams

sotc

Dormant hero!!
Just had my yard broken into a come nights ago. Trying to figure out security down there. My trucks face the gate where they cut the chain so I figured maybe dash cams would be good. Anyone have experience with them?

I swear I would have a pack of dogs protecting my shit... at least four.

All a camera's gonna do is let you watch them steal your gear.

Funny you bring this up, I was just thinking about these also. Was driving to a job yesterday and had a guy change lanes infront of me , literally had about a 5' gap. I was OK with that until the light we were about 50' from turned yellow and he just decided to stop. Loaded chip truck with 9000lbs chipper doesn't stop as well as a car.... I was lucky as the left turn lane was empty so I could go around him. Pissed me off that if I hit him I would have got a ticket.

Don't know if dash cam footage would have helped but couldn't hurt IMO

I have one, I think it's great... memory size of course determine's the recording time, mine only records for 2 hour intervals when it's left alone. Also it doesn't have night vision, but I bought it for only $50.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stole my timber wolf, may have got the plate or the truck or the guys.. then I could post them on Craigslist for the world to see

Land Lord at the yard said he'd pay a third towards a camera this a.m. I thought that was nice, I need to find a good one that'll record all the time and have 12 hours on it at least

I've used a hunting cam as a temporary security camera, mine can take video once something trips the motion sensor. Just be sure it's up high and chained. They do have security camera packages that will contact you by cell phone and show real time video if the motion sensor has tripped, around $200 US I think.

That looks sweet Andy, I'll look into them. Taking the out prospecting first

Sorry to hear, Will. Death to thieves.

I snagged this from the Zetronix site about the camera Andy suggested...sounds like a high quality image you will get. As long as it is set to only record when motion is detected you are probably OK...but as I read it, you only get 512 minutes of recording at the HD 2K setting...which is over 8 hours...guess if you don't have much activity normally it would be in a wait mode most of the time.

But check the price on those memory cards...they look way overpriced...much cheaper on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/64GB-Micro-Memory-Class-Adapter/dp/B00INC9JT0

-- ---------------------------------------------------------
Motion Sensor Recording
If you worry about vandals or thieves taking liberties with your car or truck, the zBlackBox-HDi’s motion sensor detection makes it ideal for surveillance. All you have to do is set the device to motion detection and leave it plugged in to your cigarette lighter, or leave it running on wireless battery power. When someone approaches your vehicle, the unit records that individual’s face and every move he or she makes while near your property. If you don’t want to worry about the dash cam’s battery power running out while you’re away, the optional Hard Wire Dash Cam Kit allows you to spy on vandals without fretting over a power outage.

Compatible with High Capacity Micro SD Memory Cards up to 64GB
The zBlackBox-HDi is compatible with up to a 64GB Micro SD card (Class 10+) that can store and record up to 17.1 hours of HD 720P video on a 64GB Card. Note that the Micro SD Memory Card is NOT INCLUDED.
- 8 minutes per 1 GB in 2K
-11 minutes per 1GB in 1080P
-16 minutres per 1GB in 720P
- See more at: http://www.zetronix.com/product_inf...&osCsid=fs550399v70bcq7gef606lm4j6#GoogleBase

Great stuff fellas, I'm going to have some good research to do!

Sorry to read that, Willie.

I'll mention it again, only because I had disappointment when the cops were retarded about following up on the video evidence that i thought would surely lead to the arrest of the tire slasher, and it was two separate incidents where I had two videos. I'd go to the station to ask wtf, and then get the run around. I think it is good to directly enquire with the police as to what extent they will follow up on video surveillance that shows people involved in theft or vandalism. If they won't do jack, having the best camera in the world won't do you any good. It may not only be the police. if the courts are hesitant to convict based on videos, the police may not want to get off their butts about it. It may be completely different in the states, I hope it is and the police see a video as an opportunity to collar bad guys, but good to find out.

I'll post their face everywhere, at least that'll feel better. The officer has been great.... over the phone....

Some times protecting what's yours can make you a bigger criminal than the thief according to the courts.

Back