Cummins using oil in BB1890

darkstar

Rockclimber/ treeclimber
I bought a 1890 BB chipper for an astoundingly good deal . The init had zero scratches , dent , dings notta.It does not smoke either, but it uses about a gallon of oil for every 4 hours hard chipping.The machine came from a utility and we think when they bought it new they let it get to hot and messed up the rings, the scrapers i recon.Anyhow even though its burning oil , you cant really see much if any smoke.It will blirt out smoke when first fired up a whitish looking smoke ,but once running its a beast.
my dilemia is whether or not to change out this engine or just feeding her oil.
I can go through 5 gallons ina week.Another thing is this chipper is freaking huge , we like it of course but its almost overkill.
I need to either , just run it and feed her oil untill shes gone , build the moter , or get a replacement engine.
I like that idea because you get two years warrenty.
Then again i could sale it but i dont know how much its worth.
i wouldnt want to be dishonest about the oil usage but i seriously doubt anyone would notice.
What do you guys think ?

Well,look at it like this ,at least using that much oil it would remain pretty clean .:lol:

A diesel doesn't care if it burns diesel fuel or lube oil .It has no spark plug to foul .

Usually if an engine blows oil smoke on start up it can be traced to either worn valve guides or bad seals .Niether would warrant a replacement engine .

So you have two choices the way I see it .Either repair the valve train or just keep dumping oil in it .

You could possibley have a broken oil ring but that would not warrent the price of a replacement engine .

You could probably just pull off the head and take it in. Probably cost a few hundred to reseal it and who knows. At the same time you could inspect the cylinders although it doesn't sound like anything is wrong there. Another few bucks for the headgasket group. Think of how sweet it would be once it is fixed to have a chipper with no problems that you got real cheap.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't live with an engine that drank that much oil. Pull the head and have a look around, like Steven said it shouldn't cost much to redo the head and they can mill it while it's at it.

Is it a 3.9 or a 5.9?

Do a compression check first. If you put a new (refurbished) head on a bottom end with worn rings... you'll just suck oil past the rings.

If the rings are good, then a refurb'd head will be a-okay.

Gary

Thats what I was gonna say Gary. And like Carl, 5 gallons a week will add up quick, specially when you forget!

Sounds like another Harv's Tree/ Harv's sales success story !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
5.9, it dont even smoke it just chips like a freaking beast.
My mechanic said they likly cooked it resulting in bad rings.
Its only got 868 hours on it.
Ill sale it for 20k

7k for a brand new engine with 2 year warrenty.
I was just on the phone with my diesel man, we think its the rings since after the first poof it quits smoking almost immediatly.
Also it cranks on half a turn so compression rings are good.
Cranks in winter to i think we have fried scrapers.
How much you think that would be worth to drop the pan pop the pistons and change out the rings and of course re work the head.
and put it back together again

What are you like lol ! I've got a mate who'll fly it back in a C130 ;)

Thats what i was thinking LOL
Ya i got pics on my old puter, just imagine a perfect massive black BB chipper on a single duelly axel.
with a kick ass winch and hydralic everything, its a 60k chipper with a bad engine, ill take 20k period .
im about to fix it then it would be 30k and that would still be a deal.

7k for a brand new engine with 2 year warrenty.
I was just on the phone with my diesel man, we think its the rings since after the first poof it quits smoking almost immediatly.
Also it cranks on half a turn so compression rings are good.
Cranks in winter to i think we have fried scrapers.
How much you think that would be worth to drop the pan pop the pistons and change out the rings and of course re work the head.
and put it back together again

what about getting a remanufactured engine from like autozone/checkers or even a engine from a wreaked junkyard truck

Thats what i was thinking LOL
Ya i got pics on my old puter, just imagine a perfect massive black BB chipper on a single duelly axel.
with a kick ass winch and hydralic everything, its a 60k chipper with a bad engine, ill take 20k period .
im about to fix it then it would be 30k and that would still be a deal.

Haha, Your sales technique sucks dude. Age? engine model? HP? options? PICS?
I'm currently looking at a 2400 morbark with 220hp in immaculate condition for $20k.

Do a compression check first. If you put a new (refurbished) head on a bottom end with worn rings... you'll just suck oil past the rings.

If the rings are good, then a refurb'd head will be a-okay.

Gary

You would have to take it to diesel mechanic for this. It takes the right type of compression gage and connectors. They could pull the head and pan and do a in frame rebuild on it. Should not break the bank.... I used to do the older 350-400 cummins for around 3500.00....

I assume that engine is sleeved ? No matter because if all it is a set of rings and a rework of the cylinder head that has to be cheaper than a rebuilt engine .That is providing the cylinders are not shot ,bearings etc .

If it runs as well as you say it does it can't have that much wrong with it .

Now this idea of running it so hot it took the temper out of the rings doesn't sound right because had it gotton that hot it should have cracked the cylinder head .

Pull the head and take a peek at the cylinders .It they are worn and eliptical you obviously have some big problems .If you roll it over and the rings don't wipe down the cylinders that will pretty much tell a tale .

For only 800 hours I'm thinking just improper breakin and the rings never seated. But then Idunno much about diesel innards. :?

I think if it had bad enough cylinder damage to make it burn that oil then it would smoke, and/or be hard starting.

Yeah, that's why I'm thinkin that part is probably OK and only the head needs looking after. I'll bet you could do that for a thousand or so.

Haha, Your sales technique sucks dude. Age? engine model? HP? options? PICS?
I'm currently looking at a 2400 morbark with 220hp in immaculate condition for $20k.

I thought you were in Gwlad Y Tylwyth Teg ?:?
:\:

Back