Crazy story developing on the Buzz

No tree service in Oregon that I know of that owns their own crane. Full on crane, not a loader

In our case it's the crane operator that owns a tree company, instead of the reverse. We are all independent, he just brings us together for jobs and carries the insurance. Almost all procedures are followed by memory, I haven't seen a new face in years.

Wonder what the operator does on days when there is no need for a crane? I could see the crane hired out working at other tree work outfit's jobs, or any other job where a crane is needed, if the liability was covered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That blows my mind. I can name at least 12 within 50 miles of here...

Are Northeast, Mayer, and Marquis the 3 biggest, in terms of quality of equipment and production? Mayer is equipped like no other that I know of, Marquis nicely equipped, and Northeast has a GMK3055 I believe. Are the others well equipped too or are they lesser? It's like an arms race!

Every day a tree job that requires a crane....wow! Crane maintenance costs could get pretty high. A widget for those costs some dough, at least over here. Of course if you were getting payed for using it every day, it wouldn't much matter.

I don't own one but I don't think there is a lot of maint. required to keep them running properly, lotta grease I'm sure.

And no doubt every job they use the crane on doesn't necessarily require one, but if you have it you are going to use it to save time/effort,

I think Mayer's million-dollar baby holds first place, at the moment.

Probably right, Cory, the basic maintenance costs aren't so high, but when something breaks.... On the one at our jobs, I know they wanted over $2000 to repair the spring gizmo on the take up reel for the computer sensor wire...speaking of which, the day before yesterday, the wire got caught under a small limb when bringing down a top. The operator manages to get the butt down to the ground by carefully maneuvering, but laying the whole thing down would have broken it. He told me to cut the butt a few feet up to walk it down, but when I did that it flipped over and snapped the wire. He was complaining about the costs at lunch, it wasn't the first time, and I think he was unable to fully extend the boom or sumpin until it gets repaired. Some safety system in effect. The total repair costs when they add labor is hard to fathom sometimes. One of those have you over a barrel things.

Or focus of the company too.

I will have a crane one day, no one else around here does though.

I use one guy on rare ocassion, he will only work with a handful or less of not only tree companies but actual guys that work for them.

This accident is a bad scene. I'd be interested to know where/how the communication breakdown occured if one occured.

Crane operation seems a pretty highly skilled activity when dealing with non-static loads. I think Erik also mentioned that. Do tree guys really want to take that on themselves? Lesser skill required when nobody is up in the tree. The crane guy got on my case yesterday for not taking a wrap of the wire both above and under a limb when tying off. Our Pines can slip a bit sometimes. I told him I would be more careful. Man, sometimes I forget. Little room for error in a lot of cases.

Wonder what the operator does on days when there is no need for a crane? I could see the crane hired out working at other tree work outfit's jobs, or any other job where a crane is needed, if the liability was covered.

Many people miss the true benefits of a crane. Most tree outfits only include a crane in a job when it is the ONLY alternative. Fact is, doing removals, the best choice is a crane if one can be set up in operational radius. The least amount of exposure exists in using a crane when done properly.

I mean who has more oomph than Mayer, more ability to blow out giant jobs with ease. That definetly is not Asplunk, afaik. Does Northern run big cranes?

Last I knew. They certainly have enough gear in their yard; they're a couple towns over from me.

From their website, yeah they look pretty huge and well equipped, including large mechanized land clearing. But for residential tree removal, big trees with bad access, I gotta go with Mayer and their 2 or 3 GMKs and the 115t. Just preposterous line up of kick ass tree equipment.

What is with you folks in Mass?? Big outfits with big cranes and big equipment seem to be a dime a dozen up there!?! Lets hope the urban forest keeps growing at breakneck speed!

Northern does lots of residential. I wouldn't say they're a competitor; they're pricey- but they most certainly do residential.

Most big outfits aren't pricey afaik, to maintain the necessary volume??

Back