Crazy story developing on the Buzz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
More power to 'em

Pretty much my attitude with them. I prefer to take on jobs where you can't tell I was ever there; no big ruts, crap all over the place, trash left behind, etc. Just a stump where a tree was.

Most big outfits aren't pricey afaik, to maintain the necessary volume??

The three companies you mentioned are at the high end of the price range. You seem hung up on the big crane thing...Northeast calls theirs "the driveway crusher". When I think residential production I think big trees on multiple properties in one day. Smaller truck cranes with adequate chip trucks and log trucks can do some serious work.

Many people miss the true benefits of a crane. Most tree outfits only include a crane in a job when it is the ONLY alternative. Fact is, doing removals, the best choice is a crane if one can be set up in operational radius. The least amount of exposure exists in using a crane when done properly.

You make a good point, Dave. What occurs to me, and why I posted about the viability of a crane for daily use, is that a crane adds to the costs of a job, thus the outfit would be giving a higher estimate than say one that would do the work without it, albeit a job that might take a bit longer to do. Things like moving brush and logs, a crane on site is great. Likely a tree company that has it's own crane could probably reduce the cost to the consumer to use it, than hiring an independent, the frequency of use can pro rate the ownership costs plus other things. I don't know how that would figure out if you compared. If you are talking about small truck mounted cranes, or Unics, having those at most every site seems very helpful to essential. I was thinking more like five ton and up. If a company does mostly large jobs, like maybe those companies mentioned might, having a crane readily available makes a lot of sense.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You seem hung up on the big crane thing...Northeast calls theirs "the driveway crusher".

ha, I am! The gmk with tight turning radius and small setup space due to counter weight seems like quite the custom tree killing machine. And I thought that the computer controlled suspension was a driveway saver. But given the NE nickname maybe the boom trucks and truck cranes aren't so far behind after all in terms of overall productivity and ease of use.

Back