Climbing , Flagpoles that is

Altissimus

TreeHouser
I have had to do this before , somehow inchworm my way up safely with Tree gear. Was a Steel pole with enough paint to add a little texture wich gave my slings and safeties a little friction. Fly in the Oatmeal this time , pole is Fiberglass and I'm not completely sure I can grip the thing. Planning on quick test before I commit to job. Any other Treehousers ever climb on Fiberglass ??

Nope...I hope its covered in gelcoat, otherwise it will be...nasty.
Tiny slivers in every piece of kit that touches it if not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems weather coated , probably no splinters. At first I thought it was White Paint , now I'm thinking it's some sorta pigmented high tech coating maybe ?

Use a pole to push a friction hitch up the pole a few feet at a time. Move a second friction hitch by hand and use it to hold you in place while advancing the tie in point higher.

Just my idea

Use a pole to push a friction hitch up the pole a few feet at a time. Move a second friction hitch by hand and use it to hold you in place while advancing the tie in point higher.

Just my idea

Like the hitch tied around the pole, instead of tied around rope? I'm thinking it'd work too.

Do you know how the icicle hitch got it's name? It will grip an icicle or a stalactite without slipping. A flagpole should be easier as the taper is going up, if there is a taper. Other hitches might work too. Short pieces of climbing line should make for sturdy " cords" .

I know I have a hard time with my climbing stand on small hickories, the bark is just so hard it likes to slip.

Approach last time was two safeties with extra wrap plus a sling girthed for a foot hold , on much shorter pole though,

Two slings work fine.
One for top tie in one for a foot.
Then you just work them like the old sit-downer.
You can easily rappel down afterwards from the top one and set a throwline in it to loosen it after you reach the ground.
We've done it lots of time at the castle golf course.
They are morons about tying knots, but pay well to have their line recovered.

I think it's 55' or 60' , I remember the one leg getting fatigued / crampy on lesser pole. Thinking of two foot holds or one at a time with an extra sling so I can switch sides.

Stiq quothe "They are morons about tying knots, but pay well to have their line recovered." .... .... ... This ! I believe their knots caused the problem in this case. I was going to make knot suggestions to them as well.

Probably too expensive to rent a lift for the one task , it's a store and they already asked the cable TV guys and their bucket won't reach. Power Company or Tree Company bucket could , but again probably too expensive.

What is the lateral strength on poles like that? I assume they are designed to hold mainly a flag...not a person?

Leaning back into your lanyard leverages a side pull on the pole....not an issue? The higher you go the more the leverage.

Like I said , unfamiliarity with the material ... I have thought about tensile strength , first day I looked at it there were steady thirty mph winds w gusts and it didn't appear to sway at all.

Back