Chili recipe

Interesting. I like 1/2 beef 1/2 lamb (or even goat if I can get it)
I like to cook my onions a little longer too, get them nice and brown, release the sugars.
If you like paprika flavour, slice a chorizo sausage and throw it in the hot oil with the onion - marvelous addition.

hmm, a long slow roast would do well to incorporate goat, I am not a huge fan of it unless its well disguised, too fatty most times

Good marinade helps. I'll have to look into shipping some goat sometime. Freeze it and over night it with dry ice... bla bla bla..
See how I feel after we butcher one.

I killed a baby goat once, and man it was a tough thing to do, I mean the so cute aspect. What can you do with male goats not intended for breeding? I had the butcher cut it up and pack it for me. So so tasting, I found.

I've observed that, Al. No doubt that billy goats can have some troubling habits. They sure do get focused when a female is around that they are interested in...all the snorting and stuff.

Does anyone use dried beans rather than tinned?

As I already slow cook the meat, using dried beans and adding them earlier in the cook seems logical. Might even try something other than kidney beans.

Absolutely.
I only use canned whatsoever as a last minute resort, unless I've canned it myself.

I use pinto beans when I can find them.
For hotness I simply toss in a jar of my own canned jalapenos. I like jalapenos, because they are hot, but the hotness doesn't last long.
Since I don't put dead animals in my chili, I like to add a bit of 70-80% cocoa dark chocolate to give some bass notes to the whole thing. Just a bit, mind you.

Do you ever dry your chillis?

I have dried a few on the vine in the glass house this year, they work really well.

Climate is too moist here to dry them.
I'd have to use an artificial heat source, so I just can them.
Also canned jalapenos ( or Black czechoslovakian or Jamaican yellow) which are what I have canned this year just taste so good in a sandwich.

I need dead cow in my chili! The more flesh, the better!!!
168.gif

So what you really mean, is that you like a little chili in your dead cow.

Back