Cheaper winch line.

That's true, Cory. Using a chain choker does add an extra step when putting it on the log, and then sometimes you have to drop the log, take off the choker, and put the winch line back on the log to get it into the chute.

I would never put a chain permanently on a winch line, but I still think it's a good idea to have a choker of some sort on hand for certain working conditions if you're using rope as a winch line.

Using a choker is too much pita for me and steel lasts probably 5 years bare minimum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We got winched.

Justed buttoned up the install. Works with no leaks!

I applaud bandit for such a nice setup, easy install, easy directions, all needed parts come included down to cable ties for neating up the hydro lines. I recommend to anyone thinking about adding one to theirs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 52
The St Parks chipper winch had amsteel. It would get worn down a lot, but still not break. You can easily shorten it. No jaggers/ burrs. So light. A grabhook tied on the end of the frayed at the end amsteel was stronger than a bandit 250 winch. I wouldn't want steel.

I wonder if you could inline splice a piece of sacrificial amsteel onto the end of the main winch line. Maybe 3' of so, which might be able to be fully pulled in when winching onto the tray.

Ive thought of that.

Im not too worried. I was going to put a chafe sleeve on, i have a roll of tubular webbing in the barn. I was excited yest and forgot. Can add that later if needed.

Truth is, on the bandit winch I used the slot pushes the chafe sleeve towards the thimble and bunches it all up and it gets ruined. We just cut ours off when we put a new line on the second time.

Another option is to cut the cover off of another appropriately sized rope, thread it onto the winch line, and lockstitch it in place. It it's nice and tight it won't bunch up when you suck it into the winch.

You know, it was never a big deal not having one with the little chipper. Now with this bigger one i realized the need. You cant use the machine to its potential by hand feeding. The winch can pull more than the mini can drag at times so some tree with be one cut, winch and chip.

maybe i will catch some flack for this, but... we just use our old stabe braid 1/2" lines on the winch. it is stronger than the winch (i.e. i will max out our winch well before it breaks), it is cheap, it is pretty darn durable, and it is easy to cut and retie onsite. minus is that the larger dia limits the amount of line you can fit on the drum. also, by the time they make it to the winch they have very little stretch left in them. i have broken quite a few and havent seen any recoil (they all had heavy wear and/or nicks when they broke). my 2 cents.

Just cant get enough on the spool. Id be surprised if you can get 100 on there. Sure spools faster though, i noticed the stretch kinda sucks at times too. This is from using a friends.

definitely cant get 100' on, but we seldom need that much. if i ran my own gig i would pony up for a high tech line and i would make sure it lasted as long as possible. unfortunately i work for an outfit with pretty high turnover and the guys can really abuse the crap out of the winch. the stable braid has ended up as the line of choice through a pseudo darwinian process of survival of the fittest:|:.

Lol, i get it.

I trained my guy well, he claps off his shoes outside the truck before he gets in.

Sick right? :lol:

Back