My new climbing line.

They change the color every year I think.
I’d like to take part in that event sometime but the Buffalo veterans cemetery is still being built I think. Next closest is 4-5 hours away.

They change the color every year I think.
I’d like to take part in that event sometime but the Buffalo veterans cemetery is still being built I think. Next closest is 4-5 hours away.
Bro if you're driving 4-5 hours come stay at my place and do the one I do with me. I've been to it enough now that I'm typically the team leader and they just hand me a map and me and the few other climbers do what we can.
2017 went alone, I was the only climber, other volunteers were my ground crew
2018 I was 1 of 2 and the other guy was a Davey trainer and said he wouldn't have climbed if he was the only one. I took my own ground guy
2019 a younger inexperienced crew of 3 dudes who were really just the grounds crew at another cemetery, not a full time tree crew showed up, took one of them up with me with the other 2 on the ground.

We get a much done as we can but the needs climbed list is always daunting. They have a huge list of trees no equipment can get to and I hardly make a dent each year. Come on down, it'd be nice to have another competent climber and bust out some real work for them!

Last edited:
The ones I have been to are overrun with climbers and equipment, bucket trucks, stumpers, cranes, PHC spray rigs, etc.
Three years ago the site in NJ had three or four cranes show up!!
I took two newbies and taught them to lower as we worked down a couple of trees not reachable by the mechanized teams.
Must be the population density out here on the coast. Where in Ohio are you?
I'd much rather be helping out where there are few climbers than being one of 80 that show up for one medium-sized cemetery

@pigwot I do the one at the Dayton National Cemetery. The entire crew in 2019, the larges year I've seen, wasn't 80 guys. Maybe half that number, there's like 8ish bucket trucks and their few man each crews then there's like the 10 or so old guys from whatever the main company sponsor is that stand around and bullshit all day then the handful of climbers and our ground guys. When I won the rope in 2019 in the raffle I think I had about a 1:20 chance if that tells you anything.
I enjoy being one of the few climbers but we could use all the help we can get here!

Last edited:
My buddy helped out a few years in a row at the Ohio cemeteries. Since nothing really happened this year I didn’t get to be in on it
Nice, do you know which one? There's 3 vetran cemeteries here in Ohio and I know atleast 2 are active saluting branches events. If it was Dayton I've probably met him.
20180919_105952_HDR.jpg 20190918_133751.jpg 20190918_134203_HDR.jpg 20190918_140728_HDR.jpg

Back