Chainsaw pants in trees

Treeaddict

Treehouser
Who wears them aloft? I use the chaps religiously on the ground but never considered pants for climbing. It seems like a gauntlet would be of greater importance up there?

^^^ what he said.

Every day, just wear them. You get used to them. Chaps just look so ridiculous and cumbersome. Mine have the fit of a pair of jeans and I bet they are not that much more restrictive than a set of Carhart work pants or other heavy duty pants.

My thinking aligns with Sean's. My area of concern's higher than my legs. As far as comfortable goes... I wear BDU/ACUs pretty much everywhere. They're about as light as you can get, and it's still hot. I like chaps on the ground cause I can get rid of them when they're no longer needed, and be as cool as possible. Only takes a minute to put them on/off.

I can't be bothered to put chaps on so saw pants for me. I find the thickness of the material like an extra pad on my spikes.

I always wear saw pant, in trees or on ground, chainsaw or not. Even often at home doing random stuff around or inside the house. I feel naked when I just wear jeans. I really like the padding of the protective layers against the bark, when holding things or kneeling down, but without the feeling of a sleeping bag from the usual sawpants 10 years ago. The new lines and fabrics made them comfy, slim, easy to move with, even to sneak in the messy crowns.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, to the pants wearers, do you own like 2- 3 pair and just do a laundry load every evening? It would be expensive to have pants for the week.

One pair of pants per week. By the time Wednesday comes, you can call them, and they'll run to you in the morning :^D

I don't wear sawpants, but that's what I do with my workpants, and would probably do it with sawpants too. You're hot and gross by 9am(latest) anyway, so what's the point having clean pants for a couple hours?

I hear you. I’ve been wearing the Wrangler Outdoor pants. $45 each and purchased 5 pair. Perfect for climbing but without the saw protection. They can survive 4-5 days in the winter between washing and 1-2 days in the summer. I can’t wear stuff for extended periods in the summer. It just feels strange as they touch skin. Shirts changed daily in summer. Winter, who knows? When necessary.

There's definitely a difference between shirts and pants. I don't like the way dirty pants feel, but I can tolerate them til I get in the thick of things and it doesn't matter anymore. I don't think I could get over a dirty shirt. I'd notice it all day. Winter time I shower every other day unless I got into something really nasty, and I change out my long underwear then. With the underwear buffer, I'll wear the same overshirt all week. It's not on skin, and it isn't felt, so it isn't really dirty aside from a bit of earth, or with trees, sawdust, and I'm fine with both of those.

Strangely enough it isn’t recommended to wash saw pants. Apparently it doesn’t do the layers of saw protection much good. I have a few pairs, I have always just washed them when they get too funky.

No big deal. In fact, compared to 15 years ago, modern saw pants are all easier to wear. The older versions were like wearing a cumbersome, full nappy when working on hot days.

I used to pick up a helper to install the underground piping in a Wegmans’s grocery store for about 2 months. This was middle of summer. It was earthwork and the sun just beat us. He would only wash his clothes over the weekend. His pants kept the same “flat” shape (from being laid flat for the next day) and both his pants and shirt were “brittle” like. The smell was unforgivable by Wednesday on the ride home. He would stink in the mornings as well on the last days of the week. He thought all this was normal. If it wasn’t a company van…….

Strangely enough it isn’t recommended to wash saw pants. Apparently it doesn’t do the layers of saw protection much good. I have a few pairs, I have always just washed them when they get too funky.

No big deal. In fact, compared to 15 years ago, modern saw pants are all easier to wear. The older versions were like wearing a cumbersome, full nappy when working on hot days.
That is interesting because I was under the impression that they should get washed regularly because oil and sweat had an impact on the fibers sticking together.

Unless there is blood from a cut, I keep them for around 3 days. Also if I work in sappy pine, I avoid washing fresh sap, it seems to come off better after a few days of air drying and sawdust sticking to it.

Mine get washed depending on need. Usually when they get too dirty with oil sap and dust. Or starting a new job, I like good first impressions, clean uniform, clean truck, clean saws.
Too much accumulation of sweat, dirt and dust working it's way into the fibres can make them less effective.
I have a summer pair (cloggers gen2) and a winter pair (pfanner type A ventilated)

That is interesting because I was under the impression that they should get washed regularly because oil and sweat had an impact on the fibers sticking together.

I am confused now.

Maybe it was the older pairs. FTR I have always washed mine when they get a bit funky. I do have a few pairs.

I used to hear that back in the day about not washing them...but common sense, I mean, really.

Regarding washing, ones I have recommend that you wash on a gentle cycle to help set / matt (for want of a better word), the protection fibers in them before use.

yes wear them climbing, and the ground etc.

Back