Chainsaw File Storage

TC3

Headache !
I'm working with a friend who makes containers for chainsaw files. I like the high-vis colors. No more lost files !
They're being sold in 3 packs (shown in the pic) for $14.80 plus $2.75 S&H.
On orders of 2 pkg.s, I can send 'em out in a Priority Envelope for $4.60 S&H, which is a pretty good deal.
Anyone interested in ordering, please send me a pm. :)

Attachments

• P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 93
I've found that the trick isn't to avoid losing them, it's to lose enough of them. Once you've lost a file in every conceivable place you will ever need one, it'll be right there waiting for you when you need it. At least that's what I'm hoping for because I must've lost about 1000 of the little buggers.

I've found that the trick isn't to avoid losing them, it's to lose enough of them. Once you've lost a file in every conceivable place you will ever need one, it'll be right there waiting for you when you need it. At least that's what I'm hoping for because I must've lost about 1000 of the little buggers.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
:thumbup:

So it's a hollow tube full of files? Are they touching each other? That will cause them to corrode and become dull.

If not, I would have to modify it with some straws.

Attachments

• straw_file.JPG
    straw_file.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 14
So it's a hollow tube full of files? Are they touching each other? That will cause them to corrode and become dull.

If not, I would have to modify it with some straws.

That was my question, too. If they are just riding against each other they will dull up mighty fast. The straws are a good idea, but they need to be sturdy ones or they will wear through fast themselves.

I wouldn't think the straws would wear through if they are taped in place like that? I was wondering the same thing about just tossing all your files in together and them rubbing against each other bare? I keep 'em in the box they came in until ready to use and then I guess there life becomes a little rougher until either wore out or lost.

I know a guy who runs a tree company on the Big Island and used to work as a faller in the PNW. He keeps his files in a similar tube, but also keeps the tube filled with bar oil. He says the bar oil keeps the files from rubbing up against each other too much and actually cleans the debris off of them so they stay sharper longer. I'd have to try it myself to decide if he's right or not, but it seems kind of messy so I probably won't any time soon.

What might work well is to get a tube and pack it full of straws. One file per straw, a la Butch. You could even use different color straws for different sized files.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the feedback so far. I really appreciate it & will try my best to use it in a positive way.
Bounce, your response is the exact reason the product exists !
Skwerl, you're absolutely correct >>> PVC tubing, only they're cut to 9.5" & painted 3 colors for the 3 different sizes of files. I really don't understand a need for 15" ?
Butch, my biz partner & I have gone 'round-n-'round about the need for an inner "honeycomb" to protect the files from one another... The tang (handle) would be another thing altogether ?
& Burnham for reitterating that.
It will be worked on.
Rumi, while the File Mate tubes are water resistant, they would not stand up to being filled with bar oil. The adhesives used for end caps ( & potentially an inner honeycomb structure) wouldn't stand up to it.

It is no huge secret what these tubes are made of or the function they perform. Part of my thinking is that the average tree person's time is worth more than $14.80 an hour, which is the minimum time you'd invest into making the tubes, less expenses. Know what I mean ?
I'm trying to take the initiative to produce a simple product that we can all use on a daily basis without breaking the bank.

Please continue the feedback !!!

i like tc, although i would keep them seperated. i like the heavy duty straw idea, or you could just use the card board dividers that come in a case of files

rubber fuel line tupes taped or glued together inside for the honeycomb. Hadn't much thought about the wear on the files rubbing against each other, but I use pvc pipe as well for my file storage.

I have found the box the files come in don't last at all when placed in a tool box or even in the door pocket of my truck. I only use 2 sizes of files and use different color straws to cover them. Straws last a long time and straws are cheap. I just keep them in a ziplock bag in the tool box.

Been doing this method of file storage for awhile now...

I have at least one in every tool box.

In my main truck box I also have a larger 1" piece of PVC pipe for storing lots of files as well as the smaller 3/4". As you can see, the larger one holds 8 files and 2 flat files. The smaller one holds 4 files, 1 flat file + the file attached to the file handle.

The plastic tubing I got from the hardware store. It is stiff and sold in any length, they sell it by the foot.

The file handles are common Stihl handles and they fit tightly into a 3/4" PVC pipe. It makes a tight water proof seal but easily pulled out.

The pvc pipe with the handle jammed into the end makes a solid way to store the files and it can rattle around all it wants to without any damage to the files.

Just cut a bunch of tubing into the correct lengths and slide them into the pipe. Feed files into them, leave enough room for the file attached to the file handle.

You can glue the PVC cap on the end. It is best to glue it because when you insert the file handle, it compresses the air inside and causes the unglued cap to pop off.

I dont file chain on the job so much as I have a Silvey grinder, but having files is essential especially when you hit dirt or something in the wood and just need to touch up a chain.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0602.jpg
    IMG_0602.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0603.jpg
    IMG_0603.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0604.jpg
    IMG_0604.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0606.jpg
    IMG_0606.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 36
I wouldn't think the straws would wear through if they are taped in place like that? I was wondering the same thing about just tossing all your files in together and them rubbing against each other bare? I keep 'em in the box they came in until ready to use and then I guess there life becomes a little rougher until either wore out or lost.

I think you are right, Squish. I hadn't picked up on the tape.

I cant keep files in their box because we work so much in the rain that the box melts and the files also pick up rust from the bottom of the box. The rubbing against each other is a major way for them to get dull.

Back