Chainsaw climbing pant recommendations

I've used the SIP 5.1 pants and they are pretty good. Also used the gladiator ones by pfanner but only briefly. Pfanner felt actually heavier than the SIP pants. I used to use the SIP 5.1's every day at the arboretum and didn't notice them being too hot surprisingly. Nowadays I climb pretty much every day in SIP progress pants (non-protective); both the non-protective and protective pants I've been wearing for a few years and they are holding up great. Would recommend SIP pants any day.

jp:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
to pete mctree: I am pretty sure the 3600 is the chain speed: 3600 feet per minute

For me, the chaps seem way too bulky to climb with them.
Specific arborist's trousers are the way to go. I have this one, either in the trees or on the ground, with chainsaw, handsaw or edge trimmer (= nearly all the time) , protected mainly in front, so it isn't too hot (not extremely hot).
http://elagage-hevea.com/achat/materiel-elagage-524-Pantalon-de-protection-orhy-pro-Francital
Useful to climb, protects from rough contacts when climbing and holding brush or rounds.

those are very cool........no understand frenchie...........is there a u.s. connection or retailer? merci.

A yarder man eh, I've worked a few in my day too? Welcome, you from BC too?

Grew up in Terrace. Started in the woods at 15 for my Dad, mostly coastal camp work out of Prince Rupert. Those Alaska axe-men make me feel right at home though we were never as haywire.

Been out east for the last 20 years or so but have lately become a weekender with a top handle - TreeStuff knows my name! I ordered a pair of Pfanners from them looking for the longer inseam but the waist was a little too tight. My current pants are from BigK in Vancouver who manufacture pants and chaps for Stihl in Canada.

Spent quite a few years hooktending and then running the Big-Skad(git) some of the memories are fond and that's were I first used spurs rigging.

http://tlw.ca/family/Logging/G-Yarder.htm

Ha cool. I did a bit of time up in your neck of the woods. I worked the Charlottes for a summer out of Sandspit. Mostly I worked V.Island though before settling in the interior. Rigging for highleads is what got me interested in the residential side too.

Welcome to MB's Treehouse, best place on the net for anything arb,saw/cutting, equipment/gear wise. You name it the members here probably have some info on it.

Cool shot. Is this you?
RCam.jpg

Welcome GY, I have some Big K chaps, they seem to be made to fit the locals and the local rules, enjoy the Treehouse!

I've used Stihl High Flex class C for a while, had to have them in the Uk, all around protection front and back...but kinda hot in the tropics in summer, but bearable considering. Stretchy, comfortable...they need some extra fabric on the bum though!
Now I'm in a cooler climate I've been looking to get some class A (Front protection) for every day and climbing. Over here a pair of normal summer weight front protection old style Stihls is over $250...and I can get into a size small without unbuttoning the waist! I've been looking to get some XS Hi Flex front protection, first cost is around $200, but the cost of postage from Europe is...eek!
If I could get some chainsaw trousers that fit and were a reasonable price, I'd buy them tomorrow!

I wear the SIP 6.1 & the SIP Freedoms. All the SIP pants I've seen are great, and no problem to wear. Even if the summer if you want to badly enough, but even in the summer, they were only uncomfortable doing lots of ground work in the heat. Climbing, they were fine!

to wagnaw: are the 6.1's an insulated cold weather pant / compared to the freedoms? what's the difference between the 2? tks.

those are very cool........no understand frenchie...........is there a u.s. connection or retailer? merci.
Francital is a french society and I can't find a link for an english spoken reseller. Strange.
Maybe I don't look the right way.

Regarding oily chaps/ pants protectiveness, at the recent PNW ISA Annual Training Conference, a speaker talked about oily chaps fibers are lubricated and pull out easier, and provide less protection. I don't know how much real world protection varies. Interesting to me.

I believe this to be true.

It makes complete sense, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I'd be more concerned with wearing oil soaked clothing!

How do the chaps work?

The protective pants we use here work by long fibers being pulled out and blocking the chain/clutch.

If you really cut into a pair, you'll have to take the saw apart and get all the fibers out.

So oil making the fibers pull out easier would probably just be a good thing.

That's how they work, Stig...but having lubricant on the fibers slows down the binding action they create just a little...not much, but enough to increase the time it takes to lock up the chain movement. That smidgeon of time allows more damage to the unfortunate piece of meat under the chaps.

Ah, I didn't think of it that way.

Makes sense.

It's true. Badly oiled chaps up here won't pass WCB inspection for running saws in the woods, atleast as I understand it. I think it helps compact the fibers together more, they become matted, so it's like the pants are more 'solid' allowing the chain to cut through much quicker. Instead of when they're in proper condition the fibers are more easily torn apart and plug the saw up.

Has anybody tried out the Pfanner Gladiators? I would like to know the difference between the American product and the European products. Is the lighter and cooler version of the pants available? I saw them on an Australian web site. You guys on the other side of the pond are way ahead of us in regards to chainsaw protection, we are in the stone age over here.

Back