Chainsaw climbing pant recommendations

Has anybody tried out the Pfanner Gladiators? I would like to know the difference between the American product and the European products. Is the lighter and cooler version of the pants available? I saw them on an Australian web site. You guys on the other side of the pond are way ahead of us in regards to chainsaw protection, we are in the stone age over here.

I am using a pair right now, but I can't hardly wait for them to wear out, so I can feel justified at tossing them out.

They are probably called "Gladiator" because they feel like you are wearing armor.
Also the are not very permable for watermolecules, so they get real damp. The pockets will be so wet, that one cannot keep a note on preferred lengths in them without it turning into a soggy ball of pulp.

In short: " I don't like them"!

As for chaps catching fire, we had a skidder operator about 20 years ago, who spilled gas on his sawpants when fueling a saw, got back into the nice warm cab of his skidder, drove around for a couple of minutes and lit a cigarette.

Back then the pants were made from non fire resistant nylon.

He died from his burns.

Smoking kills, particularly combined with stupidity.

Thanks Stig, I hold a lot of merit to your review. Have you had a pair of protective pants that you really like? What kind will you be inclined to try next?

I like the Stihl ones for their sheer comfort, but they are not very durable and very expensive.
That is what started me shopping around.

Richard is looking into importing some from Enhland, I don't know which type.

Not much of a story Burnham, although it probably was pretty funny to observe. I was on a Hot Shot crew up near Chelan, Washington doing project work. We were making a shaded fuel break where you thin the trees out around a road to make a defensible space. I was using this old beater 064 project saw and had just gassed it up. I had, like so many times before spilled a little gas when filling it from a dolmar. I started the saw and had it propped in front of me tip on the ground as I fitted my gloves back on. Out of the corner of my bug eyes I saw an orange dancing light, looked down and noticed that the saw was on fire where the power head was leaning against my crotch. I tried to pat it our with my leather gloves. That didn't work. I put it on the ground and tried to smother it out with my oil soaked project chaps. Well you know what happened then. The nearest person to me had a very puzzled look on her face, looking at me with a burning saw on the ground and flames coming off of my chaps. Fortunately it was almost fall and the tall grass was wet with dew and I managed to get the saw and myself put out with a lot of very dignified rolling and smothering movements on the ground.

Oh, but for a video of that one, D. :D

But as noted, could have been a bad outcome in a different circumstance.

Back