Chainsaw Chaps & Other Protection

Nope. It's been explained to me that I don't have to comply with ANSI/OSHA because I'm CA Cal-OSHA supersedes the federal OSHA standards. I confirmed this with Pet at TCIA

If you look at the cal-OSHA rules, they are a total joke. It includes such gems as...

(2) The climbing line must be crotched as soon as practicable after the employee is aloft, and a taut line-hitch tied and checked.
(5) Employees shall remain tied in until the work is completed and they have returned to the ground, unless it is necessary to recrotch.
(1) Climbing ropes shall be used when working aloft in trees. These ropes shall have a minimum diameter of 1/2-inch and shall be 3 or 4 strand, first- grade manila, with a nominal breaking strength of 2,300 pounds, or its equivalent in strength and durability.
(2) Polypropylene or other synthetic ropes having similar low melting points shall not be used.

So basically if they come to our job site, they should be amazed. But then if the inspector is a dick, they might fine me for having 11mm climbing line that isn't 4 strand Manila.

love
nick

When heat fatigue is less of an issue, then the absence of chaps is at the least stupid IMO. You folks in the states scream when someone does not wear a helmet, or eye protection, but seem reticent to wear a cheap item, that, turns a shredded leg into a damaged piece of clothing. Regulation is there to help the stupid, so if you don't follow common sense some dumb bureaucratic idiot will sort it for you.

Basically, everything is in our minds. Chaps aren't hot if you don't think of then as nonessential dress. It's the sun that's hot. I mean do you guys that won't wear chaps due to the heat, think the same about gloves? They are hot too, if you want to isolate and look at them apart from being mandatory with all their consequences. Add a couple more pints of water to your tank. People that don't wear chaps or gloves, can refrain from comment due to being unique individuals.

Interesting you should say that, Brendon. I have always hated anything but no sleeves in the warmer months, but since the next giant wasp sting is about scheduled to kill me, I started wearing sleeves. After two jobs earlier this year getting used to it, I don't mind the long sleeves a bit. I slip on a no sleeve tee during lunch and hang my work shirt up to dry. It makes a refreshing change and the long sleeve feels good again when I put it on and go back to work, especially if it has dried out. Just like some guy on a bicycle made a delivery from the Chinese laundry.....

I wore chaps every minute when I logged. I grew accustomed to them after time. Yes, they're do add heat in the summer months. But, you learn to tune it out if you choose to. I found them awesome for a variety of reasons when logging. Great for walking through brush and briars. I've grouse hunted in mine. They work as a good rag to clean your hands off. Good for kneeling down on the ground for repairs or choking logs. Insulates in the winter months.

I found that the risk of leg injury with a saw was far greater when logging then residential tree work. More uneven ground. More limbs loaded with tension and twist that want to spit the saw back into you legs.

Frig that. I carry spare shirts, at least two. I even have a spare set of pants and underwear, just in case I get that fun gas cap coming off shit.

Yeah, maybe I should get some more shirts, but I have always hated long sleeves, so shopping for them would be a new thing.

I wear these chaps most of the time when cutting on the ground.

I wear the Husqvarna pants in cool/cold weather in the tree. I got the pants just before going to work at Katrina in 2005...they were super hot there. I understand MB's frame of reference re: the heat.

When the weather is on the warm/hot side I just wear BDU's...no protection there, I just get real careful cutting in the tree.

Attachments

• chaps.jpg
    chaps.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 12
When heat fatigue is less of an issue, then the absence of chaps is at the least stupid IMO. You folks in the states scream when someone does not wear a helmet, or eye protection, but seem reticent to wear a cheap item, that, turns a shredded leg into a damaged piece of clothing. Regulation is there to help the stupid, so if you don't follow common sense some dumb bureaucratic idiot will sort it for you.

Here ya go Pete... Just for you man :lol:

Attachments

• G&C 12-07-08 185.jpg
    G&C 12-07-08 185.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 26
I never did figure out where the money goes from OSHA fines or the EPA or any other watch dog organization .Maybe it goes to the collector of fines to spend on wine ,woman and song .Most likely at this moment sitting at one of those golf courses in Bermuda enjoying a nice brunch .

Yeah, I saw him today...from the roof I was standing on using my fiskars to snip an almond with no helmet and no harness...hehe.

The chaps could be less hot but they seem waaayyy too bulky for me, dangerous in limbs and with the stubs on the ground and in the tree.
Safety pants for me, all the time, either in the tree or on the ground. Even for not related tree work, like planting or hedge cutting.
Hot in summer but nice in winter. Comfy, it sustains well the rain and doesn't get cold, even deeply wet. Thick, so it's a good guard against the thorns, the rubbing on the bark... I can kneel on the wet ground (but not seat !) at the stump or at the planting hole.
I really like it.
And while it's expensive, I don't want to damage it, so I keep my chainsaw away from it !:D

I never did figure out where the money goes from OSHA fines or the EPA or any other watch dog organization .Maybe it goes to the collector of fines to spend on wine ,woman and song .Most likely at this moment sitting at one of those golf courses in Bermuda enjoying a nice brunch .
The money made from fines here in Canada are used to help pay for the medicare costs to fix up the guy who cut his leg half off.:lol:
Only in the U.S. can you buy a pair of logging boots with a plain leather toe.:?

I don't always wear chaps, but if its cool here I will have them on all day. As far as clothing goes I always wear long sleeves...learned it from the mexican guy I work with. I think keeping the sun off keeps you cooler. I buy the thin cotton dress shirts from thrift stores for about two bucks a piece. Usually the nice blue color. They are super thin and dry quick and have a collar that you can pop to feel COOL and keep that neck from turning too red! :lol:

Only in the U.S. can you buy a pair of logging boots with a plain leather toe.:?

That is not true at all. Viberg makes non-safety toe full leather loggers.

In my avatar pic I'm wearing chaps, I tried that out for a bit. Now I'm back to wearing cutting pants everyday, Stihl with only the protection in the front none of the crap wrapping around my calves.

Any boot can called be a logger boot but I'm sure they're not sold as logging boots in B.C.

My point was it's the same boot. It's a Viberg full-leather non-logging boot then, exactly the same as the one they make for logging except for no safety toe. And they're sold at sawshops. They can call it what they want everyone knows where it's getting used.

I have 3 pairs of these Husqvarna safety pants on the go every day of the week. Takes a day for a pair to hang dry after washing.
Real nice cool pants in summer, a slight breeze blows right through them, even the 1 inch fluffy lightweight padding allows air flow. I modified one pair by cutting off the high back.
I wear a 2" wide belt made from a pair of suspenders which is the key to having a painfree lower back. Over the years I found a leather belt is the worst thing for the lower back when doing treework. The elastic belt has good "give" when working. Suspenders are too hot and clammy in summer.

As much as I love this Husky pants don't get the chainsaw's exhaust to close by them. While up a tree yesterday while running my 338XPT I burned a hole right through the pant leg 1 inch of padding and all, only thing that protected my bare leg was the cotton pocket. I guess the padding is not Kevlar.

Attachments

• SDC12132.jpg
    SDC12132.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 15
  • SDC12136-001.jpg
    SDC12136-001.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 16
  • SDC12136.jpg
    SDC12136.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 17
  • SDC12133.jpg
    SDC12133.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 15
Nope, the padding is nylon.
The way it works is that the long nylon fibers pull out and wrap around the clutch, stopping the chain.
I can personally testify to the fact that it works.

I've told this story before, but here it comes again.

In 1989 I was "renovating" a christmas tree plantation. Basically cutting down all the trees that won't make the grade and plant new ones.
Cutting them down means stripping them of branches and putting the stem on the ground.
I'd just cut one and was pushing it over, while walking forwards.
I tripped, fell into the stem and one of the stubs jammed my trigger finger. Tree, saw and I ended up on the ground.
So I fell across a MS260 going at full throttle.
The bar ended up across my left thigh, but was stopped by the pants, before it drew blood.

I'm pretty sure that had I not been wearing protective pants, I'd be a one legged man today.

So, needless to say, you won't see me running a saw without being dressed for the occasion.

Moisture wicking Arborwear.

I'll just buy the same blend shirt from my screen printer though next time.

I wear long sleeves all day at work now. I'll bring a dry short sleeve to change into if I need to at the end of the day.

Back