Chainsaw Chaps & Other Protection

Don't get your expectations up too high, Squish, I worked some vegetable with the Mexicans once, picked up some wetback tendency. I still wear only cotton shirts, dislike the feel of the synthetics for the most part.

Frankly, anyone who runs a saw under any circumstance without benefit of either chaps or cut resistant trousers is acting the fool, in my book. That's a pretty bold statement that's bound to injure more than a few feelings here, but I firmly believe it. I NEVER start a saw without one or the other on. I'm neither heat tolerant, nor accident prone, nor forced to do so when on my own time...I'm just a sawyer who has seen a few chainsaw cuts to the legs of co-workers, my friends, and it sucks with a half life to see the damage.

Jay, those old FS chaps ARE worn out. The saw stop fabric used is obsolete, and the oil you have reported is soaked into them have rendered them nearly useless at stopping a running chain. Long overdue for replacement, let me assure you. We've discussed this before, old friend :).

Last edited:
About 10 years back, I had to take a mandatory certification at the forestry school.
I noticed that one of the old teachers up there, whom I've known for 30+ years was limping badly and sorta staying away from everyone, not meeting anyones eyes.He kinda looked like a dog, that someone had thrown cold water on.
I asked someone else, what was up and was told that after 30 years of teaching chainsaw safety classes, he had cut a small tree down in his yard while not wearing PPE and cut his leg badly.
Can you imagine how stupid and ashamed he must have felt.

I do like how the FS chaps kind of blended in to the surroundings, but i'm in the market for new chaps now. :) I suspected that the stopping material inside might be obsolete, but I didn't really want to know.

Back