Certified Arborists

What the heck is quasi-criminal? What if I didn't use my turn signal to turn left this morning? :/:

They require that someone complained. So think back to when your parents told you to put on your seatbelt (after the vehicle was on the road).:lol:

As a casual observer it is interesting to me that people who in the past are vehemently anti union with respect to organizations involving labor would in any way support this organization . In the least common denominator it is in effect nothing but a union ,like the ADA,AMA ,etc . Ponder that thought .:P

How are they the same? There's no collective bargaining on rates or benefits.

around here the cert is valuable Wes, to do arborist reports and a number of other tasks, you have to have an ISA cert, some others you need that AND a certified tree risk assesser cert. Makes me some bucks each year :D

Isn't that sweet Paul. We can no longer do a viable report in Washington without the Tree Risk Assessment or TRAC as the org likes to call it. A 500.00 cert by the way.
Al is right the ISA is very similar to the unions in a couple of respects, they get money from us, and have control over our industry. Except we get no wage protection or ANY benefits from supporting the bloodsucking organization.:evil::evil:
I expected Guy to pipe in. Anytime the ISA is getting their just criticism he is sure to wave the party banner.:evil:

I agree with Wiley to a point. I beleive in BC our industry is moving in a direction that will mean I will have to jump through some hoops and shell out some bucks just to be allowed to continue to do what I'm doing now. Same thing happened in the bush and I was young and headstrong so I flipped the middle finger and left. I don't plan on doing that this time around, but I resent the fact that I'm going to have to pay to continue to do my job. I've got 12 years in the bush and a few years in residential work now and I've never been injured or injured anyone else. I should be damn well deciding who should be allowed to do the work.

Sorry for the rant and slight derail. As for the ISA cert it is valuable up here and I will do what it takes to hold it, because I have to.

One point to think about is that if you have done a crime and paid the consequences, then your debt is paid.
It could very well be illegal to require someone to reveal this type of history about themselves.

On another similar note, to say if you have nothing to hide then whats the big deal, is also a breach of privacy.

Seems to me everyone grouses about the airlines pulling people out of line at the airport, how is this any different?

Regulation will come to our industry, its just a matter of whether it comes from the inside or the outside.

Thats my beef, ISA is a trade organization.

The Treehouse could develop a certification program, lobby government agencies to make it a requirement for public work and force anyone who wants to do said work pay dues and fee's to the Treehouse.

Isn't that racketeering???

i dont like it
im not a criminal and have no convictions
but what about my employees who have had to live by a different set of rules in life and are making changes

i have guys who have worked their way off parole and are becoming successful climbers
i spend my time and energy encouraging them to earn isa certifications so that they have a recognized skill set
and dont go back to the system
so what are they then "uncertifiable"?
why doesnt isa go after all the ca's that still advertise topping or something more useful
i know several ca's in the state that are production butchers and they crap on all of our good work and efforts
they have hiring and labor board issues...go after those clowns
not people who are trying to pick up the pieces and cary on

I personally think it could be bad for them to dig...cause, how many people would have to be kicked out,
and who decides the code of ehtics anyways

i can see the liability the isa faces,
all they need is some chit head to rape someone while doing a estimate or job
and then the isa would be dragged in
because the freak was an arb
and they obviously need a real specific code of ethics they want to defend
spell it out
will not violate labor laws, osha/ ansi regs, isa regs
no violent criminals or sex offenders

but how bout the guy who gets a felony dui
goes to jail a level 1 inmate
gets caught up in a riot, (has to put in work or get taken out), the place locks down
now your transferred to a level 3 and doing an 18 month shu term

paroled out go back to life
would that exclude you from being an arb
it would have to be case specific
too much work for them to deal with
then people that were kicked out could sue
or become targets and sue for their exposure
its bad all around and needs serious revision

Most of the time, ex-cons are the best workers. I had a murderer groundie and he worked better than anyone I've ever seen.

The airlines, as private companies, have no authority to pull people out of line and subject them to search; the TSA, a government agency, does.

Thank you for the nitpicking information

How are they the same? There's no collective bargaining on rates or benefits.
Ah Texas Jim,I knew you would catch that .

Let me rephrase and say ,much in the same disregarding wages and benefits .

Nothing different than that professional group of accountants you deal with . Meaning this ISA has taken upon themselves to be a governing body with regard to arborist type qualifications .As such they seem to want to dictate how business is done and have wide authority over all engaged in such businesses .

I suppose the organization of accountants might be some what the same .That being the case if so it's no different than the IBEW or ironworkers union or carpenters union .With of course the exception of wages and related matters .

So,like it or not if this organization requires an annual fee for certification if you belong to it,guess what .You are in a union of sorts, same with the accountants,doctors or dentist and attorneys who belong to so called professional organizations .:P:lol: Don't ya just love it .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I sent an e-mail to ISA this am with a link here. Haven't heard back yet but I do hope they will respond here:drink:

Play on words no doubt .In the literal sense more of a master fisherman not to be confused with a master swords man in a younger life .;)Cast it out and reel it in .

Ah Texas Jim,I knew you would catch that .

Let me rephrase and say ,much in the same disregarding wages and benefits .

Nothing different than that professional group of accountants you deal with . Meaning this ISA has taken upon themselves to be a governing body with regard to arborist type qualifications .As such they seem to want to dictate how business is done and have wide authority over all engaged in such businesses .

I suppose the organization of accountants might be some what the same .That being the case if so it's no different than the IBEW or ironworkers union or carpenters union .With of course the exception of wages and related matters .

So,like it or not if this organization requires an annual fee for certification if you belong to it,guess what .You are in a union of sorts, same with the accountants,doctors or dentist and attorneys who belong to so called professional organizations .:P:lol: Don't ya just love it .

I pay a fee to let my son be a Cub Scout too, but I wouldn;t call them a union.

You're trying to stir the pot, but you're not very good at it. A professional organization is not the same as a labor union.

Nor would I .I suppose though that anyone who does not have a degree of some sort should be classified as amateur .

Back