Certified Arborists

I'd sign a code of ethics statement any day; as to the legal matters ISA seems to be overstepping its boundaries.

I think the intention is well meaning (to increase the level of professionalism of having the CA and thus the benefits to the holders) but more time could have spent at the drawing board.

jp:D

Just lie. Let them go find out if you were honest or not because it really wouldn't matter. If you were a bad boy and were honest about it, you wouldn't get accepted anyway.

It's probably so if some CA does something criminal and gets sued and the ISA is also named in the suit they can say that "hey we're not responsible, the guy lied to us or we wouldn't have let him be one". And since the guy lied on his application then his certification was never valid in the first place, giving them another out. I wouldn't worry about it. I kind of doubt if they are looking for some technicality to beat you over the head with, they are just trying to show some effort to keep criminal types out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's probably so if some CA does something criminal and gets sued and the ISA is also named in the suit they can say that "hey we're not responsible, the guy lied to us or we wouldn't have let him be one". And since the guy lied on his application then his certification was never valid in the first place, giving them another out. I wouldn't worry about it. I kind of doubt if they are looking for some technicality to beat you over the head with, they are just trying to show some effort to keep criminal types out.

I think your on the right track Steve but it is so poorly written they are asking to much. I could see something like listing any felony convictions in the past 3 or 5 years but they are asking stuff like have you ever been arrested for drunk in public or ever ran a stop sign, stuff that has no bearing on ethics or goes back so far that a guy has to dredge up stuff that hes gotten past. As far as lying on the application I would imagine that would get you tossed quick as anything. Shoot, a friend of mine is going through a nasty divorce and has been accused of different things that would have to be disclosed. I have nothing to hide and I don't plan to fill this crap out when my renewal comes due

I agree with Willie that it does seem like an intrusion but if this thread is to be worth something people should watch their language and assume that they are talking to someone who is in front of them and is well intentioned, otherwise folk's point of views will be discounted out of hand.

Darin Turner
PN6327A

my recert is due this month, I just checked the envelope I got a few days ago, the sheet is in there with those questions, I now have serious issues about filling it in. Maybe a call to Champaign Illinois is due tomorrow. with a big ' its none of your business' attached.

Hmm I didn't think about it until you said that, Paul. My cert runs out end of June and they sent my packet this week with it in there.

No Longer Valid.
No Longer Care.

Attachments

• IMG_0970.JPG
    IMG_0970.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 21
around here the cert is valuable Wes, to do arborist reports and a number of other tasks, you have to have an ISA cert, some others you need that AND a certified tree risk assesser cert. Makes me some bucks each year :D

If it was that valuable here, believe me I would have kept it. As it was, none of my customers cared or even asked if I was a certified arborist. The ISA Journal of Arboriculture was about 99.99% of stuff that we don't have in Hawaii. I felt like I was giving money away with no return. That is why I stopped advertising in the Yellow Pages and stopped my National Arborist Assn., now TCIA, membership. The stuff they sent me really was geared for operations far bigger than mine.

None of this applies to me in any way other than what I consider to be an interesting observation .

As a casual observer it is interesting to me that people who in the past are vehemently anti union with respect to organizations involving labor would in any way support this organization . In the least common denominator it is in effect nothing but a union ,like the ADA,AMA ,etc . Ponder that thought .:P

What really bugged me about the whole program is their are several female CA's in Hawaii (not picking on women, just stating a fact) and I know they have never actually done work in a tree or are even capable of climbing a tree. To me, if you are going to be a CA, you should be capable of doing the work. It is like saying I am a master carpenter, I never did do any carpentry but I did read all the books on building houses, cabinets and furniture.

Wes, I agree with you. I could sit for the test (and probably pass it) based on my years in this industry, but I really can't hold a candle compared to you guys. So, for me to sit for the test and hold the certification would be hypocritical in my opinion. :O

As for the new agreement to sign, I will show our Arborists' and see what they think. Seems a little much to me.

We have only one CA here and he's never touched a saw or a worked in a tree. No one here cares about that.

ISA has become just a money-grabbing org anyways, so I don't really GAF. I'm not re-enlisting, or becoming a LEO, so WTF do they need answers on crap like that for? My record is clean enough to possess a Class A LTC- it just ain't nunoftheirbusiness.

You damn skippy.

I agree with Willie that it does seem like an intrusion but if this thread is to be worth something people should watch their language and assume that they are talking to someone who is in front of them and is well intentioned, otherwise folk's point of views will be discounted out of hand.

Not necessarily so. The TreeHouse exists in the real world. They'll get over a 'lil rough language.

I guess if your vehicle had an accident and you got sued, the ISA could pull your Cert.?

Back