Cat Rescue... kinda sporty

• Thread starter Blinky
  • Start date
  • Replies 80
  • Views 8K
I worked for a vet for a while once and he showed me how to immobilize a domestic cat by scruffing the back of it's neck, grabbing both hind feet with a finger between them, and then stretching it. Works every time but it takes two hands.
Before you ask ,I've had the shit clawed out of me by a freakin cat which is why I have no sympathy for one dumb enough to scale a tree and not be smart enough to get down .

I have a sure fired method of snatching a cat .It takes a heavy coat and welding gloves . Grab hold of puss and boots by the throat and get a thumb in his Adams apple .That will get their attention I guarantee .:what:

I think gravity works against one finding cat skeletons in trees.

What about paint pellet guns with jelly filled rounds? For that matter I think I might start climbing trees with jellied cats strapped to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
then you couldnt fall the tree

Excellent point. The tree wouldn't fall with a jellied cat in it. Maybe once the cat was properly jellied, you could switch from jelly packets to golf balls to dislodge it... hey! You could cut the tree and move it wherever you wanted, THEN shoot the cat out... new way to fall and transport trees. Cats are waay cheaper than helos and they don't burn fossil fuel so it's green too!

Dude, you're a genius.

I know of one guy who says he uses a snare. I've got an old snake snare I could probably convert. Or one rescue would pay for a new snare and still have enough change to take the kids out for dinner.

With that cat in the doug fir you should've just walked up with a chainsaw and told'em you'd have the cat down in a jiffy... kind of a two for one thing.

I did actually offer bring it down with a rifle, just to be a smartass:)

If I had to do a cat rescue, I always thought of taking a scrap peice of pole tool pole, stick a bite a rope through it with a stopper knot on both ends, bottem one out and use the other as the adjuster.

If I had to do a cat rescue, I always thought of taking a scrap peice of pole tool pole, stick a bite a rope through it with a stopper knot on both ends, bottem one out and use the other as the adjuster.

Yep, a good snare is handy if you live near the woods. We used to make snake snares the same way.

Good point. Where can I advertise for bee rescue?

With the way bees are going to hell all over both the US and here, with colony collapse and Varroa mites, I think wild bee swarms and families will become quite a valuable commodity.
Give it a few more years, and bee rescue will become as common as cat resque.

I was just watching Nobiffy's video and an ad for bee hive rescue and removal scrolled across the bottom.:what:

Ya know a cat by it's very nature is an animal of prey ,they just come that way .You could take the average cat ,other that a pampered Siamese and it could survive on its' own in most environments .

Now this lovable feline can climb a tree of it's own free will ,raid birds nests and climb back down all of its' own accord .It's bred into them .

Why then do people freak out when old puss and boots gets in the damned tree .:? Now if the family German Sheppard is in the tree or the riding horse ,that's a time to be a tad bit worried but not the cat .

If I were a cat owner ,here's what I would do .Make a climbing post for the cat .Use carpet ,a section of tree with the bark on it ,anything .The cat ,even a stupid one could practice before it gets hung in the tree meowing its' fool head off . I mean think about ,those of the climbing persuasion ,most didn't start out scaling a 100 foot tree the first go around .

I mean chit ,the first 30 foot pole I ever hooked the going up was a darned site easier than going down .Of course gravity will get you down but that's not always the best way of descent ,ouch :)

Well Al, we see that eye to eye for the most part but some cats, for whatever reason do get stuck in trees. I've pulled out a few that were up for several days through rain, ice storms, 105 heat... they just wouldn't come down. One was up for at least two weeks before the owners found it. I recently learned that one died a few days later.

But still for me, the bottom line isn't whether the CAT needs a rescue. It's the customer that's needs the rescue... which is fortunate because cats are typically strapped for cash. You know how some people are, the cat is like their child and they stress out as long as they think it's in danger.

Even though I don't always charge, I tell everybody as soon as they call that it will be $150 and the charge applies the moment they ask me to come regardless of the outcome. The ones that can are always grateful to pay, the ones that can't get a discount or a free pass and one young lady fixed me dinner one night rather than pay for a second rescue.

So my whole cat rescue thing is mostly selfish but it's usually fun and it does give me some moral satisfaction.

Don't ask me how you're going to put it on up in the tree.:/:

cat-carrier.jpg

Forget about spraying the cat with jelly, this is SO much better!

Back