Cat Rescue...and Other Reasons to Climb Trees

• Thread starter Frax
  • Start date
  • Replies 49
  • Views 7K
F

Frax

It's a little slow here so I thought I'd start a thread on reasons to climb trees other than for our usual work. This is a short vid of my first cat rescue a few weeks ago. It turned out to be easy pussy all right ;)

http://www.youtube.com/user/norab1001?feature=mhee#p/u/0/WwrYG1s6Hm8

What unusual things have you been sent up a tree for?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WwrYG1s6Hm8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Excellent video...well done. I can't believe that cat didn't get all squirrelly on you...the Marcel Ledbetter potential was definitely there.

Spent a couple of days hanging decorations local kid's had made when I worked for a local authority years ago. It was part a a national program by the Nature Conservancy Council here in the UK.
The kid's had made various bugs and things outta ply-wood about 3' across. We had to hang These in prominant trees round the town so they could be seen easily. The fun was that 1 team would put them up and another take them down, so myself and another climber put them up right out on the tips in the most awkward of places.
How we laughed at the other team when it took them twice as long to retrieve as put up:) but we did have to do one tree for them as apparentley it was impossible to get them???

Oh, to your question...strange jobs in trees has been a centerpiece of my career :D.

Retreiving embedded shrapnel from a pipe bomb for law enforcement action...does that qualify?

A football .I don't know how they did it but a bunch of youngens some how stuck the thing in a blue spruce .No big deal,12 foot step ladder and a 10 foot piece of thinwall got it loose .

that is one docile cat. nice job. i got called out to rescue a wild raven once. it got tangled in some fishing line and was hanging in the top of a 70 foot cypress. unfortunately we were too late to save it:(.

Nice vid! Some tail on that kitty!

Over a road where kids walk, some school marms trying to poke off a dead limb with a very long stick. Climbing on each other's shoulders like it was a Chinese circus, one good reason to climb.

My bad, Nora. I wasn't paying attention as usual.

One of the things I've been involved with is working with the local Audubon Society helping to renest birds of prey. Some of the mamas can get a bit testy when you approach their nest, even if you happen to be carrying a lost baby.
My most memorable job was returning a great horned owl to the top of a pine tree. My bucket truck came about 20' short of the nest so I had to climb it. Baby brother sitting on the limb above me was a bit upset by my approach and emptied his bowels on my head. I couldn't do anything but laugh!

What a pretty cat! Was it a Maine Coon? We used to have two of them, fluffy like that and really nice temperment.
You made it look easy.

Thinking on cat rescues, but never having done one, what about cutting a hole in the pillowcase and stitch a piece of elastic around it, push the cat's head through the hole then bundle the rest...cats try to back up when you put something over their head, maybe having it poking out a hole would help for the irrascible ones?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What a pretty cat! Was it a Maine Coon? We used to have two of them, fluffy like that and really nice temperment.
You made it look easy.

Thinking on cat rescues, but never having done one, what about cutting a hole in the pillowcase and stitch a piece of elastic around it, push the cat's head through the hole then bundle the rest...cats try to back up when you put something over their head, maybe having it poking out a hole would help for the irrascible ones?

Yup! A very docile Maine Coon. I let it sniff my hand and I petted it a little on the way up so it was sort of familiar with me before I reached it from above.

Good idea Bermie. That might work. The way Chip said to do it was grab the cat by the scruff firmly and never let go. And hold the bag inside out and kind of push it over the cat into teh bag. I sort of did that. But the cat was not squirmy. Just kind of stiffened up. More nervous than frightened.

Cool stories btw! We do get some fun stuff in our jobs from time to time.

...schrapnel? really? Coooool!

It's a little slow here so I thought I'd start a thread on reasons to climb trees other than for our usual work. This is a short vid of my first cat rescue a few weeks ago. It turned out to be easy pussy all right ;)
Nora I noticed at the start of your video you were wearing one of those cool black ArborCanada long sleeve shirts. You must have taken a few of Dwayne's courses to snag that shirt.
He gave me a short sleeve one when I was down in Calgary last November when I took the hazard tree course.
BTW nice pussy removal:)

I removed a very dead possum from an ash tree yesterday during a prune job...I had been thinking something smelled like leather, sniffing my shirt now and then until I came across the skin and bones!

Back