Butternut logs

Husabud

TreeHouser
I have a sizeable job in the near future that includes 5 Butternut removal. Any body here in the Northeast know who I could talk to about saw logs? These things are substantial for ten to fifteen ft.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367968853.094970.jpg

The smallest of them is 38" DBH and the largest around 60". There is some rot in one, but the others seem solid.

I would hire a portable mill to saw on site anything good, then truck home and pile with stickers for air drying, run 'em through a planer a year later... someone out there would appreciate true thick Butternut boards. I have seen a most beautiful entry door of Butternut in Colrain, Mass

Start calling local mills. Being that big, you have to make sure any mill that might want them has a rig big enough to saw them. Around here they would be tough to sell unless you could find a hobby buyer.

No mill here, will touch trees that have grown near houses.

Too big a chance of encountering nasties like nails, fence insulators etc.

Try someone with a woodmizer.

Or a wood turner. That is how I sell logs. I put them up on the woodturner's forum.

We use Barry Smith out of Hopkinton when we get big wood. Usually we pay him to take it, not the other way around. :)

I've seen portable mills around this area.. The last one I remember was on rt138 in Easton processing wood at a farm that they used to build a sweet barn.

Back