But I'm not dead yet ... Age and climbing

I will be 52 in may. Still climb 4 to 5 days a week. I enjoy it and use 98% SRT. I just keep things efficient and smooth. I decided lately no more big removals if rigging is involved unless a crane can set up. Just not worth the wear and tear. Let someone else have that fun.

I just passed on two jobs to a pro outfit with 9 (young) guys and all the contacts for big machinery, one was a severely rot compromised large oak, with two bits fallen off already and sensitive landscape below, the other is a macrocarpa windrow prune over graves...I reckon part of getting older is knowing when to say, yeah...nah, someone else can have this job...as well as having the right people in mind to do it properly.
Got plenty of work already, I don't need scary shit too!

I'm still getting plenty of other work at both properties...I don't need it all!

Find myself evaluating the jobs ill take on. Especially since my crane guy passed on. Looked at a 6k crane job and walked. Told them, you can't afford me.
Just did not feel up to the task. The crew has been borderline co-operative and efficienct. I did not want to add a new unknown from an outside crane source. My energy and patience are on the edge. The young guys can have the big job fun. That 45 trees in 1 acre I did was about the last I'll see of those. Crazy days.

I just made the biggest one tree estimate ever, last month.
Got a call from another arborist that we have helped out on some tough ones before.

After giving him my price, I suggested he call the one outfit on the Island who has a big crane.
Hell of a price difference between owning one and having to rent one in, as we have to.
They were about 5 grand cheaper.

Later he called me and asked if I would have enjoyed doing that job.
Had to tell him no.
But I had 4 younger guys who were jumping up and down, yelling " Kill, kill, kill".

Find myself evaluating the jobs ill take on. Especially since my crane guy passed on. Looked at a 6k crane job and walked. Told them, you can't afford me.
Just did not feel up to the task. The crew has been borderline co-operative and efficienct. I did not want to add a new unknown from an outside crane source. My energy and patience are on the edge. The young guys can have the big job fun. That 45 trees in 1 acre I did was about the last I'll see of those. Crazy days.
Stephen there is no way I want to compete with guys around here. My skillset is higher. I do clean efficient drama free work. That being said I do not cut corners. Safety is my top priority. Others can lowball and cut corners. I give a quote and walk or say I am not interested. My ground staff currently suck. So no patience taking on big jobs. I work smart and am looking for high end prunes and easy removals. You are wise letting those jobs slide by. Spend more time with your lovely family. Less stress equals a happier life.

Thats a nice way to put it.

Dang! How many guys do you have. I gather from your wording you've had a good ground staff in the past, what happened to em?
I have two 21 year olds. Occasionally I bring in a friend also. These two are green as my other 2 were giving trouble and had to be severed. I do not like talking to much at work. These wet behind the ears are so slow. I am plodding along. Surviving.

That is frustrating.

I've mentioned on here previously that I am highly fortunate to have a straight ninja working for me, along with a reliable ground guy. Ninja's been with me 10 years, knew nothing of trees when he started.

That's the good news. The bad new is he's leaving within a month or two, moving down south to be with a past GF he rekindled with.

Is there a noose emoji here???

That is frustrating.

I've mentioned on here previously that I am highly fortunate to have a straight ninja working for me, along with a reliable ground guy. Ninja's been with me 10 years, knew nothing of trees when he started.

That's the good news. The bad new is he's leaving within a month or two, moving down south to be with a past GF he rekindled with.

Sorry to hear your ninja is leaving. Loosing a good man is difficult. Been there.

At least he's not vanishing into the night like a ninja. 2 months of notice is a good, reliable man. And maybe it will give him enough time to really consider his options and if it looks to work out, or goes up in smoke.

That is frustrating.

Does he feel that there is an open-door to return to, or does it seem to him like he would be replaced by a lesser guy, but immediately, due to the nature of your tree-machine?

Sometimes a re-kindled fire blows out quickly, and a much better prepared fire is more substantial in the wind. I have related experience. To Build A Fire by Jack London comes to mind.

Jumping from vacation-romance, to let's-move-in-together...

Ss, spot-on post. He's given me massive notice. And yes, you never know, but so far he is firm on leaving. He would much prefer to stay and have her come up here but due to all the factors involved, that is not likely to happen.

Sean, he knows he has an open door to return. We'll see how it works out with them, but so far, he's in love.

Looks like I'm about to lose a really good guy, too.
Former apprentice, the one who was hit by a car when we went on a company motorcycle trip to Norway last year.

He is still frigged up from the accident.

After he had been bothered by back pain, that nobody really could find the reason for,
Richard and I finally decided to have him admitted to the best clinic for diagnostics on that type of thing, and pay for it out of our own pocket, since his insurance didn't want to.

Looks like he'll need to do something less strenous for at least a couple of years.

I hate to lose him, apart from being a really good worker and sharp logger, he is also a buddy.

Back