Business Thread

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
So I'm starting to put some serious time into getting the business running right. Getting our Facebook page up to date, getting it filled up with pics, etc, starting a youtube channel that we can throw stuff up on, and figuring out exactly how much we need to be bringing in each day to make a profit. In a few months I'd like to get a professional website put up and hire an SEO to get it where it needs to be in online searches. I know treesandsurf(sorry bro, your name eludes my mind at the moment, its on the tip of my tongue but I can't quite remember it lol) recently hired an SEO, maybe he could chime in with some feedback about it? What else can I be doing advertisement wise to get our name out there? We're not bothering with phone books, too much money and most people use the internet for the same purpose, hence the website and SEO.

I'm also looking to expand into dirt work, much like Carl. Debris removal, stump removal, dirt work, some concrete, tho mostly demo here. If I have the machines to do it with I'd like to do it, love running machines about as much as climbing so this is a big interest for me to get into, along with supplementing us with work when tree work slows down. Any advice here? How would I market that with the tree work, and get our name out there, since we've primarily been a tree service company? We have some landscaper contacts that'll help start things off, but where could I go from here? And should I look into changing or modifying our business name, Treemendous Tree Care Inc., if we do get steadily involved with this kinda work?

Last thing for now, any employee motivation tips? Our one guy who works for us can drag his feet a bit at times, but he's a good guy, has a license, shows up everyday, never drunk or anything. He's been studying for his Class A CDL for awhile now, but hasn't taken the leap to get it yet. Thinking of doing a little friendly competition between me and him, whoever gets their Class A first gets x amount of money, like $200 or so. Win win for us, because either way the company gets at least one class A driver which would be great for us.

Thanks for any help/tips guys. Gonna try to use this thread as a place to bounce ideas and thoughts around as things progress here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
BTW, sorry Butch if I already have a business thread going. If I do, you could merge the two or lemme know and I'll just copy/paste. Internet is snail speed right now as the room my comp is in is an almost complete dead zone, so having a hard time searching for it. Another day or two and this comp will be in the basement tho, which has great wifi. Sorry for the distraction, back to the regular programming now lol.

i know the internet is great but a ph book presence in necessary,
we made some sweet brochures about our company, 1 page that folds in 3 , photos and print on both sides
we mailed them to realtors, prop mngrs, demo co's, we went thru the ph book and nailed all of our local target market

employee motivation is a pita, i like the bonus for goals achieved plan, i did that for the certified tree worker class i taught, and afterwards all the ones that passed got a hundred bucks cash and raises to 17 or 18 an hour......it worked

you can manage the net presence yourself..if you have time
word of mouth is best, and comes with least competition

good luck and have fun
remember to live a little in between or you can get burnt out

question for you.....are you still gonna go to college?

Here, net presence is far more effective than the phone book. Also the cost difference is around 10:1.

F a bunch of marketing and advertising.

1st go get a make a good relationship with an accountant. Most important imo.

That was my game changer in treework. Of course, at the time, I had a good accountant and was running as hired gun. Never made so much money with so little stress.

sigh

Back