Bull Creek Redwoods

Butch I dont think so, those are generally lowland wet areas.

Your laughing....you do know a snipe is a real bird. Used to hunt them at the forebay in Oroville. Hard to hit low flying and skirly.

It could be a varied thrush. (Ixoreus naevius) I remember it's call as a sort of eerie sound, but it's been some years, so I may be mistaken.

It could be a varied thrush. (Ixoreus naevius) I remember it's call as a sort of eerie sound, but it's been some years, so I may be mistaken.

Thats it! Thanks Stig. Just listened to the call of the varied thrush and thats definetly it. We've been curious about this bird everytime we go to Bull Creek because it is so loud and unusual but have never seen it. It is an eerie sound in a quiet forest.

we get varied thrush around here in early spring, before the robins. orange streaks of nervousness under the bushes outside the window.

Is this the bird you all are talking about?
:D

Attachments

• Up-Kevin-Russell-web.jpg
    Up-Kevin-Russell-web.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Stig.

It's odd because the varied thrush is actually a common bird in Mendocino county, but the only places I've heard it's shrill song is in the forests of Humboldt and Del Norte counties.

Maybe just passing through Mendo to nest in Hum and Del Norte.

It really has me curious now.

I can never get enough of the mellifluous sounds of the Thrushes here in the northeast, quite the opposite of shrill, especially the Hermit Thrush most commonly found in the Adirondacks. The best of the best songsters up this way.

I can never get enough of the mellifluous sounds of the Thrushes here in the northeast, quite the opposite of shrill, especially the Hermit Thrush most commonly found in the Adirondacks. The best of the best songsters up this way.

If you look at the latin names, you'll see that the varied thrush isn't a real thrush ( they are all named Turdus something) but a look a like.

It is a common thing with new world birds, that they were named for something well known from the old home, which they resembled.

2 examples that spring to mind is the american robin, which is actually a thrush,
( Turdus migratorius, I think)
And the american Meadowlarch, which is not a member of the larch family at all.

Here is the american robin and his european counterpart

Attachments

• American Robin.jpg
    American Robin.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 1
  • rødkælk.gif
    rødkælk.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 59
  • e1dc1fce87d8415d8385bd582d4e718f_rødhals.JPG
    e1dc1fce87d8415d8385bd582d4e718f_rødhals.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 56
We have the Varied Thrush here in WA... and it's weird... I never hear those calls here on the Island... But when I'm high up amongst the Doug Firs... I here that same call...

Great pics Ger, I need to get on the Olympic Pen and snap some photos of the huge Doug Firs and Spruce out there... :)

Hows the ankle Terri? :)

Gary

The ankle's fine, Gary, thanks for asking. I had previously injured it and was in a cast for months so I was afraid I had reinjured it but it quit hurting the next day. Guess I need to watch where I'm stepping instead of looking at the trees!

Terri, ala MB's suggestion, you might want to carry a can of ice spray
with you when you go hiking....it's good for insect bites as well.

Back