Building a computer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have not figured out how to get the second monitor running yet, will worry about that later.

Here's a few pictures of Jason's handiwork. :) First one is a close up of the fan that came loose in shipping, it's now working fine.

Sorry about the fan Brian. I guess even as hard as my brother and I tried, the U(ooops) Parcel Screwers managed to shake it loose.

What's the issue with the monitor? Is it the connector or is it software? If it's software, once we get home, I'll do a remote desktop connection( the help file on your desktop), and see what can be done. If it's the connector for the new monitor to the old style.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...99901&cm_re=vga_to_dvi-_-14-999-901-_-Product

I just want to make sure that the USPS stuff also showed up as well, Brian.

Yup, I got the discs as well.

I plugged in the second monitor (there wasn't two of the new style plugs so I used the adapter to plug it on the old style plug) and nothing happened. Rebooted the computer hoping it would pick it up but it never came on.

Is there something I have to do to make the camera card reader work also? I plugged in my SD card last night and nothing, I stuck it back in the camera and plugged the camera into the USB plug and it opened right up.

I know, I'm useless for programming stuff. :|:

Yup, I got the discs as well.

I plugged in the second monitor (there wasn't two of the new style plugs so I used the adapter to plug it on the old style plug) and nothing happened. Rebooted the computer hoping it would pick it up but it never came on.

Is there something I have to do to make the camera card reader work also? I plugged in my SD card last night and nothing, I stuck it back in the camera and plugged the camera into the USB plug and it opened right up.

I know, I'm useless for programming stuff. :|:

Dual monitor set-up
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/organization/twomonitors.aspx

Did you have the SD card in the proper slot? Also make sure that the card is inserted pins *UP*
http://www.rosewill.com/products/d_1184/productDetail.htm

If the monitor setup doesn't work, let me know, and I should be able to do the Remote Desktop Connection from home since this laptop will not support it.

Sorry, but the link for dual monitor setup doesn't tell me anything other than Windows will support two monitors. I still haven't found the monitor setup for the second monitor.

I clicked the second link for the card reader, clicked on the link for the manual and it tells me absolutely nothing either. Sorry. :(

Sorry, but the link for dual monitor setup doesn't tell me anything other than Windows will support two monitors. I still haven't found the monitor setup for the second monitor.

I clicked the second link for the card reader, clicked on the link for the manual and it tells me absolutely nothing either. Sorry. :(

Here is a video for a dual monitor setup. This should hopefully help. I'm in Mass. right now so I'm doing all I can from the road to help, Brian. :( Sorry, man.

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YFCpaAs5s3c&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YFCpaAs5s3c&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>

Like I said on the SD card, turn it pin side up so that you can see the pins when sliding it into the reader slot.

J, or RJS, how about a pic of the back of the motherboard, to make sure the connections are good, the first thing to always check, after that, probably easiest to give J remote acess RJS, he can likely cypher it mucho faster than trying to talk someone through it. :)

Got the monitor, thanks. :)

SD card only goes in with the pins up, that was mentioned several times in the product reviews on Newegg. But with the USB plugs in front it's just as easy to plug in the camera without removing the card. I got used to pulling the card for the laptop because I was using all the USB plugs already.

Brian, did you see a green light when you put the card into the bottom left slot? Look under "My Computer" with a card in the slot and see if "Removable Drive" shows up. If so... you are golden. It was tested prior to departure, so I'm hoping it's not DOR to you. :(

The green light comes on but no accessible folder where I can get to my pictures.

And what is this 'Nero' thing that looks like some sort of photo processing/viewing/organizing program? I opened that and it accessed every picture on my computer.

NERO is one of those software suites that that tries to bury bill gates. depending on the package you installed it may be burning software or much more. picture viewer etc. if you open a folder, go to folder options then file associations to make sure your files and the programs that show them line up right. :)

Ahh, but I'm ok with Bill Gates' method of viewing and processing pictures. Can I uninstall Nero? Or is it required to run any of this hardware (card reader, DVD player)?

not essential, its aftermarket burning / viewing stuff. if you have other software to do these tasks, lose it. :)

J is right, if you delete Nero you may not have alternate software to burn cds/dvds. I got nero 8 with the purchase of my external burner but its a trial virgin, expires in a couple weeks. guess I need to go on bit torrent and find me a more recent edition :/:

J is right, if you delete Nero you may not have alternate software to burn cds/dvds. I got nero 8 with the purchase of my external burner but its a trial virgin, expires in a couple weeks. guess I need to go on bit torrent and find me a more recent edition :/:

The drive that we used for Brian's computer came with Nero 8 Full. It's not a bad drive for $41.97. ;)

nice. my external was about $65cdn with nero 7. probably about even with exchange etc but I got the short end of the software deal.

Back