Drying eucalyptus

Save it, they can do more than split wood! It's basically a ready to go hydraulic system, easily modified for different purposes.

I don’t think so. I’ll be up that way after NY.
Maybe get some firewood for Tom. Have friends and that pine to whack in Kingman too.

Think it will split big nasty eucalyptus?
I really need to build a forklift mounted 4 way…
Maybe, I don't know, honestly, I've only ever split euc a few times, and only by hand. I'll ask my cousin tomorrow, he's a euc guy, he may have an opinion.

I'll say out of hand that if you take small bites, you should chew through just fine, but I could be wrong.

Also, you might could tinker with the unit to get more woo pow out of it.

yep, sure does, makes all the effort of splitting and years to dry worth it.

splitting.jpg

edited to add, thats a 35t Redgum splitter, most of what we use for firewood, Sugar gum is up there with Grey and Yellow box euc, wavy grain, splits/ more like it tears apart, even when dry, and forget trying to use a hand splitter with low rainfall tight grain stuff like that.
But yes, it burns like coal :).

Last edited:
I can absolutely believe that. "Deadheads" weren't that uncommon in pine, I can only imagine how many Eucs wouldn't float. Just thinking about it, I'm picturing a log jam on a river, that starts from the bottom. The kind you need judicious and liberal use of dynamite to clear.

Not that I'll ever get to see such a thing...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some of the Euc over here is so dense that it dosent float.
I’d like to see some, someday. I picked up a 20 year old firewood round last night, not very big, but it felt like concrete. I learned something the hard way. I sliced up two logs that had a lot of big limbs, forks, crotches. Was a lot of work, yielded screwed up pieces of wood. I should have milled it! I noticed the curvy grains hold together and don’t crack as much, as well as being beautiful. I noticed as I was noodling the tough spots. Oh well. There is still a mountain of it to process.

Hard to see with the shadows but it was like a tree crotch in a shell
IMG_4476.jpeg IMG_4477.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I shouldn’t have said I learned about forky knotty wood. I knew better and did it anyway. Also as hard as it was to noodle I’m afraid to try milling it. But what’s really cool is it’s already dry. No waiting for the return on investment hoping it doesn’t warp crack mold rot whatever. Put oil and legs on it and sell it!

True, but in my experience those internal stresses tend to manifest either while cutting, or very shortly thereafter.

However, I've found that individual boards can have some pretty interesting stresses that are not readily apparent. An incident involving cutting stringers for a set of porch steps comes to mind. I had to make relief cuts to get a worm drive skill saw more than two inches through a Doug Fir 2x12. I all but carved those treads in. The whole stick was like that, turned a 15 minute job into an hour long struggle.

I've wondered for years what that poor tree lived through, to bind my saw up so bad.

Back