Bi-Directional Notch

In the 1984 movie The Karate Kid (written by Robert Mark Kamen) the story’s Mentor is known as Mr. Miyagi, played by the late Pat Morita, a role for which Morita was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.
mr_miyagi.jpg

Ach so, Nick meant Miyagi.

They probably named him after Chojun Miyagi, the founder of Okinawan Goju Ruy Karate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep I spelled it wrong. I was so surprised that when I googled you Stig it came up with all sorts of references to your black belt status and visits to California for Karate purposes as opposed to what I expected which was logging/tree stuff.

A very multitalented man you are!

Nick, you are such a show-off!! Well done on the fall..very good control, no divots in that lawn.

"a FIVE million dollar house!!!" :lol:

Nick, I wasn't copacetic enough when you started this thread to watch the vid or post to it, but have now. Very nicely done. I believe I'd opt for two seperate faces if it were me, but no matter, you did a fine job of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks B!

My only concern with the separate faces is that it just seems so much more likely to split down from the top one in a barber chair type thing. Also it seems like you would have a higher chance of mismatching the depths of the cuts which could cause one or both to fail. My thinking was that even with offset depths the 'peg' of holding wood was all I am really counting on, by facing it both ways on the same plane I can clearly see and set the amount of wood left in both directions.

Make sense?

Truth be told with that birch I probly could have just pulled it back with no notch, locked it up and then faced it to the lay and pulled...

I dunno...I'm not visualizing forces that would cause the stem to split down from the upper face, and why would you be unable to keep the depths of the cuts where you wanted them? What "matching" needs to occur, anyway?

Like I said, I dunno. Worked the way you did it, so who's to say do it differently :).

Thanks Nick, ...well done.

Gentlemen: What about standin er up on one hinge and then ploppin er down on another. The second wld be something like 90 degrees different, so I wldn't see a splitting issue.

A bit redundant, but job well done young man.

During storm damage work I set rigging to upright a few,, up-rooted trees. After getting these trees standing back where they once were I notched and fell them in another direction. Sometimes at the cost of using more rigging. Moving your tree two ways. How cool can it get. Being a tree guy and figuring out solutions like this is so much fun. For the most part anyway.

Now to me, ripping a shingle off the roof of a common man's utility shed would make me feel as bad and doing the same to a rich man's five million dollar mansion.

No matter I would feel the same.

Burnham: Read!!! What the heck fer!!

Jer: Yah, that's a funny thing... seems like the more they've got, the more pissed they are. One time an old timer told me something like, "Yeah, well Jed, they didn't get rich by bein' cool."

Some common folks are pretty tough though... Man, you gotta watch out for the Old Biddies and their flower beds. :lol:

IDK, Facebook would be an easy place to start for Nick Bonner. Last I knew, still at TreeStuff.

Based on skimming the responses, it was not quite how I remembered.

Careful with the staggered hinges. The trunk between them can easily split/dislocate, leaving you only with a tiny bit of an hinge, like a beaver cut. In this case, you'd lost most of the directional control.

Back