Best value in good climbing saw

• Thread starter robdog
  • Start date
  • Replies 231
  • Views 24K
You're overly sensitive there, Jeff. Read Roger's post again and then go look up the definition of 'ignorant'. Never mind, I'll do it for you.
ig·no·rant
Pronunciation: \ˈig-n(ə-)rənt\
Function: adjective
Date: 14th century
1 a: destitute of knowledge or education {an ignorant society} ; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified {parents ignorant of modern mathematics} b: resulting from or showing lack of knowledge {ignorant errors}
2: unaware, uninformed

Yes, I think it's accurate. You did just say that you refused to adjust a carb (fiddle was the term you used) and fired an employee for doing the same. Yes, that is ignorant.

Wouldn't that be nice.
I just checked on Jonsared dealers at their website and there are two in California. One in Placerville and one in Three Rivers which I think is by Fresno.

Sqwerl, when did I say I fired a guy that adjusted a carb? Are you so caught up with yourself that you don't read well? If you knew what I do , you would shut-up!
My climbers saws are my problem and I take care of my guys.
Why are you so hostile?
Jeff Lovstrom

Get a grip boyz.

Why all the hate??

Last edited by a moderator:
You are killing your cylinder!!!---Ow! In California, our saws have all the enviromental and emission stuff and only run long time if kept that way. No carb adjustments for me. Easier to repair or replace. Easy for me because I have plenty of back up. I hired a guy and let him go 3 days later. Thats a back-up saw. I just don't tinker with them.
Jeff

Ok, then this needs some clarification. Why was this guy "let go" in three days then?

Not picking a fight, just trying to understand.

He did not show for two days and no call, I outfit all my guys and the gear stays here. I need production and not climbers who think they can make their saw run better than the maker! Their saw's are my saws and I take care of them and I don't need a small-time squirrell telling me anything.
Jeff

Saws come tuned to please the EPA and the law. They don't come tuned for best performance.

And they don't stay tuned for performance and longevity forever. All saws need periodic adjustments. Sorry if I'm being hostile.

You must have worded it poorly, because we all thing you were saying just the opposite.

Sorry, you are right, I don't mess with adjustments, I need production and that is considring the saws I take care of.
Jeff

I know what year it is, Jack, by a number of different calendars. Take the latest, a Husky 359, the e model :roll:, purchased about two years ago. Seriously tweaked and running solid, I've used and torn it down enough to know the thing like the back of my hand. You can do whatever you want with them, as long as you don't violate the general rules that apply to any saw, in terms of burning them up, modified or stock. There is nothing special about your saws, you must just be of the more delicate inclination?

He did not show for two days and no call, I outfit all my guys and the gear stays here. I need production and not climbers who think they can make their saw run better than the maker! Their saw's are my saws and I take care of them and I don't need a small-time squirrell telling me anything.
Jeff

In the original context, it was hard to get that is why he was fired.

I tune my saws most every time I use them. I am also after production, if they are lean or rich, they run like crap. Here in KS a saw can go from 115 to -20 temps, with humidity 20%-100%. No maker can accommodate for that in one single adjustment. I only use one "STOCK" saw, my 200t. My other users are woods ported, or muffler modded. As I work alone, I want production, production and more production. So that approach works very well with me.
But I have to agree, that without checking on them, or at least having them checked periodically, you are loosing a lot of production due to poor performing equipment.

Now if you want to get into the "low production" and who's information is and isn't viable. Well, I guess I am a nobody that you had better not have telling you what you should or shouldn't do either. I am but a hack in training/firewood cutter. So what do I know?

Until saws have EFI with a computer to compensate for temp, humidity, condition of air filter, gas variations etc., they will have to be constantly monitored for proper performance.

Ease up guys- sorry I don't let my guys use a saw that needs to be adjusted. I would not be a good ops guy to give a guy a job and a saw that he needs to adjust. I guess I am getting off on the wrong foot.
Jeff

Being able to adjust the carb on your saw is a basic maintenance item that all operators should be able to do, just like sharpening the chain or blowing out the air filter. Refusing to adjust your own saws and forbidding employees from doing so as well is insanity. You can't take the saw to the shop every time the carb needs adjustment. I know several guys like that though, and their saws all run like crap (most of them run too lean). They will run their saws for years out of adjustment and never get the power they should. I've rebuilt two saws just this year for friends who cannot adjust carbs. They are both documented in threads here in this forum.

Being able to adjust the carb on your saw is a basic maintenance item that all operators should be able to do, just like sharpening the chain or blowing out the air filter. Refusing to adjust your own saws and forbidding employees from doing so as well is insanity. You can't take the saw to the shop every time the carb needs adjustment. I know several guys like that though, and their saws all run like crap (most of them run too lean). They will run their saws for years out of adjustment and never get the power they should. I've rebuilt two saws just this year for friends who cannot adjust carbs. They are both documented in threads here in this forum.

Oh, so your saws are old. No big deal, I get them and they run great when I get them and when they do not, I get them serviced. Why you so mad?
Jeff

Back