Best value in good climbing saw

• Thread starter robdog
  • Start date
  • Replies 231
  • Views 24K
So you asssume my saws are "old"? Why would you say that? In fact I bought 3 new saws last year bringing my total to an even dozen. I do have a few older saws up to 10-11 years old. Since I don't burn them up due to running them out of adjustment, they last a long time.

Looks like I should get a tach if I'm going to do this. And thanks Brian. I printed it out in duplicate and will keep it in my shop and truck.

I can bring mine when I come out next month. BTW, is your offer for use of the spare bedroom for a night still good? :)

It's a little scary at first Steve, but once you get the sound figured out, it's easy to tune them by ear.

Jeff, You have been, argumentative, authoritative, defensive, incoherent and a bit of a whiney smartass. Cool, you are a tree guy. However, if you continue on your present path of forum behavior some of us are going to conclude that you are an annoying mentally deficient person.:)

It's all Kewl!! (My new word for the day:D)

I am excited to hear more about this saw Eric, be nice to have a "poor man's" 200t!

There are very few things you can spend 550 or 600 dollars on and get a better return on your money. What other tool can you buy with a better return. I wish I could get the same ratio of return on all my other equipment that I have spent thousands on. Don't get me wrong all the equipment makes me money, but 600 bucks is a very small amount to spend in the grand scheme of things. My insurance costs way more than that, something you ( I have to have ) that doesn't make you a dime. A 200T will make you money hand over fist if your willing to work, or you have decent employee's. They would not work for me if they cannot hang on to there tools. And be walking funny when they leave with a broken saw stuck in there ass....:X

Adjusting the new rev limiting ignition saws you really need a tach. What sounds like flutter, burble, 4-stroking, is the limiter cutting out.
I just got a 576 and was talking to the service guy (who just left for a better job). He says he leans it untill the tack numbers start jumping all over (limiter cutting out) and then richens it 1/8.

Adjusting the carb comes easier after you've done it a few times, then your ear gets tuned to the sound, and you don't feel worried about doing damage. It becomes second nature, and fun how the engine responds to the slightest change of setting. I have a good tach that I sometimes use for the "ultimate" adjustment, or on modified saws to see the rpm increase, but by ear seems sufficient for general purposes. On the rev limiter saws, that's a good point, Dave.

Jeff, You have been, argumentative, authoritative, defensive, incoherent and a bit of a whiney smartass. Cool, you are a tree guy. However, if you continue on your present path of forum behavior some of us are going to conclude that you are an annoying mentally deficient person.:)

I didn't think I was but perception is reality and I will think twice before I post. Point taken.
Jeff

Back