best face for dead trees?

• Thread starter SydTreeguy
  • Start date
  • Replies 104
  • Views 13K
With lesser moisture content steamed wood that will be bent, the species known for their high bendability, if you leave on the sap wood, that is where your crack will start, and why it is removed.

That is interesting, because when making "natural" ( as in non-laminated) bows out of yew or elm, you have the sapwood as the front side of the bow and heartwood in the back, since the former handles being stretched better without cracking.

That is interesting, because when making "natural" ( as in non-laminated) bows out of yew or elm, you have the sapwood as the front side of the bow and heartwood in the back, since the former handles being stretched better without cracking.
With Osage Orange you have to take off the sapwood...

Absolutely clear huh? Sometimes it's not what a person says but how they say it that matters. I suspect you could say "I have a pencil," and sound arrogant.

I wonder how we could test the holding power of sapwood and heartwood in order to see if their is a difference?

I've got pencils AND pens... lots of em... in all kinds of colors.. you can't even imagine how many... LOL

Sig, I recall that Yew has very hard sap wood, possibly as hard or close to as hard as the heart wood. Yew has other very unusual characteristics as well, some kind of spirituality where different cultures like to plant it around graves and also use it to make religious tools. I don't believe that Elm is considered a good bending wood, at least for woodwork. Tough but not straight grained.

It s absolutely clear that in looking at long dead oak hinge fibers, the center heartwood has A LOT more holding ability than the outer "Sapwood"....
:lol: Well yeah seeings if it's long dead there for all intents is no sapwood left .Further more oak by its very nature will hold moisture in it's core for years and years .

Fact just the middle of last week I cut up some cull logs I let go too long .20 inchers with only the center 10 inchs unrotted .Never the less that heart wood still retained moisture and was solid as a rock .

I wonder how we could test the holding power of sapwood and heartwood in order to see if their is a difference?

Might be fairly easy to set up some sort of clamp and lever... since no one has done that yet, best understanding would seem to come from an examination of the postmortem hinge fibers... long hairy fibers show good holding... short stubby fibers show less... rips down the side bark are meaningless...

My Vote ......

This expression about sums it up.

funny-faces-horror-faces-12.jpg

Ohh bad hair day of which I've had many .That was even back when my chin whiskers weren't white as Santa Claus .

Nice job. I think it was one of your guys that said on the vid, "A perfect hinge as usual". I don't think I have ever heard that expression before. :lol:

I was looking through some recent pics and found a good one of amedium ash.. maybe 22" that had a lot of prominent wiskers in the heartwood... Maybe re-size one next week.. New camera/software is not user friendly..

What's "whiskers " got to do with anything ?If it hits the lay obviously the hinge was right-----or the skidloader ,depending on who's doing it .

Back