Bent Chipper Blades

• Thread starter Mr. Sir
  • Start date
  • Replies 167
  • Views 20K
I hope your kidding Frans:?:?

No, serious.

It was an old chuck n duck and barely ran. Got it going good and chipped that crap up right quick.

As for 'responsible', I could not care one way or the less about that chipper. Not my daily user thats for sure.

Tish,Tish,Tish, Leaving out details. Foul on the play. :D:D

Should have said that in the first place:lol:

:thumbup: sorry

shoulda also mentioned that the distributer would not lock down so as it ran the timing would change. The throttle cable would stick, and no guards anywhere...

The damm thing would spew fire from the pipes as it kept accelerating on it's own.
Everyone would duck and take cover when that monster got going:lol: Never knew if that was the day it would self distruct and take no prisoners

A local university asked if I would chip residential waste including boards with nails and such. I said sure, as long as they bought me new knifes, bolts, and anvil.

They were conducting research on the best way to deal with Katrina type waste. I politely turned them onto things such as tub and horizonal grinders.

I think tub grinders don't depend on the sharpness of the blades quite like a drum or disk chipper.

Ha precisely, and they can grind entire homes or even asphalt without damage.

A classic example of limited understanding from book learning/teaching.

True. Only had to replace the knife. 8 feet of grade 70 5/16 chain makes a racket.:D

It sure does. :lol:

Glad to see you jumped in there; I wasn't going to volunteer the "who". :)

Accimdents do happen, though.

Point of that post simply being that if one can chip something ever so clearly NOT made to be chipped.... there's no reason why chipping a log, I don't care HOW big, should make a blade bend and the machine detonate. :what:

Point of that post simply being that if one can chip something ever so clearly NOT made to be chipped.... there's no reason why chipping a log, I don't care HOW big, should make a blade bend and the machine detonate. :what:

True

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I picked up the new parts today. We'll start the disassembly tomorrow morning. I'll try to remember to take some pics as we progress. Here are a couple I took today showing the damaged drum and housing:

Attachments

• HPIM0522.JPG
    HPIM0522.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 9
  • HPIM0523.JPG
    HPIM0523.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 9
  • HPIM0525.JPG
    HPIM0525.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 5
  • HPIM0529.JPG
    HPIM0529.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 5
  • HPIM0530.JPG
    HPIM0530.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 8
Wow. The only time I have seen damage like that was from chipping (or trying to anyway) chain

Boy, the twisted off shaft is a good indicator to a bearing failure.

It took about 3 hours this morning to get everything taken apart. After lunch, we spent about 4 hours trying to make the drum assembly fit back into place. After much pushing, shoving, lifting, grinding, winching, cussing, and cutting, we finally got it to fit.

We should be able to finish it up tomorrow.

Here are a few pics of the disassembly.

Attachments

• HPIM0532.JPG
    HPIM0532.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 6
  • HPIM0534.JPG
    HPIM0534.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 6
  • HPIM0536.JPG
    HPIM0536.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 6
  • HPIM0541.JPG
    HPIM0541.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 6
  • HPIM0546.JPG
    HPIM0546.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM0549.JPG
    HPIM0549.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 6
  • HPIM0551.JPG
    HPIM0551.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 9
I'm fairly certain that my chipper and every chipper I've looked at is welded to the frame in a similar fashion?

I'm not smart enough to know if that's a dumb idea. I'll take your word for it Ed.

It's not something that usually has to be removed.

The new drum and housing assembly didn't quite fit, so we had to do a bit of cutting and grinding

Attachments

• HPIM0542.JPG
    HPIM0542.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 6
  • HPIM0552.JPG
    HPIM0552.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 9
  • HPIM0553.JPG
    HPIM0553.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM0554.JPG
    HPIM0554.JPG
    259.6 KB · Views: 6
Didn't get much done today. Welded the drum housing to the frame and welded on some brackets and such. Bolted everything together, but managed to snap a 1/2 inch Grade 8 bolt in the process. It had an old crack about halfway through, so I replaced all ten of the bolts that hold the drum assembly to the feed wheel housing with brand new. Now I have the pleasure of trying to drill out that bolt and retap the hole.

look at all those cranes he has for back up:D looks like a fun job if it was someone elses money:|:

I am so glad you started this thread Brett.

Your chipper is very similar to my Morbark and all those big pieces look so familiar. It is nice to see it disassembled and see that it isn't such an impossible job should the same misfortune happen to me. Got my fingers crossed.

I recently got our knives flipped, but now we have a annoying little ticking sound. We have been running it and it hasn't gotten any worse. I have checked to see if a knive was hitting the anvil. Has plenty of clearance from what I can see without tools or a flashlight and I can't duplicate the noise by spinning the drum by hand.

I finally called the dealer today and talked with the head mechanic about it. He said it is probaly a knive hitting the anvil a little but you can't hear it unless the clutch is engaged spinning the drum at a higher speed. He said what probaly is the problem is when the bolts were tightened down a knife or knife(s) move a little closer to the anvil because the bolt holes in the knive are not quite the same diameter as the hold down bolts. Have to hold the knive back and in place, then tighten and torque it down. I kind of had a feeling this was the problem cause we didn't do that.

He also suggested to check for a bent knife as they can bend if they have been in the machine for a long time. He said this bent knife thing can happen and does like what happened to Brett but it is not a regular occurance.

Just a side note, when we were flipping knives we also were changing oil, air filter and other regular maintence. I was going to repack or regrease the drum bearings. This was last week. Well being the niny pinny worry wart about this chipper. I called to see if the grease we had on hand was good enough. Nope, nothing I had would be good enough. Any grease will work of course but Morbark has a special grease they recommend and you can't buy it over the counter locally. Morbark has a special high temp grease that is used in the tub grinders and they like the same grease to be used for drum bearing. I ordered a few tubes and will repack the bearings another time.

We were talking about torque wrenches that go up to 300 lbs for torquing these drum bolts. I bite the bullet and got one from our local parts store. An SK 3/4 in. drive that torques up to 600 lbs. It was on sale in their tool catolog. $478.00 bucks and no shipping. Good thing too, that thing is long. I about fell off the chair I was sitting on when they brought the box out. But you figure a long 3/4 breaker bar with a cheater on it would be about the same length.

Check out the pic. That is a 4 foot yard stick laying next to it. Expensive, hell yes it was, but at least I felt better when we were torquing down those knife bolts to proper specs. Come Tuesday when I get back from a little weekend get away we are going to recheck and redo those knives first thing.
I always do better the second time around. Practice makes perfect.

If I ever buy an aircraft carrier :lol: I can give the maintenance guys a tool to torque some big bolts:lol:

Brett, hopefully when I get back you will have your machine up and running. Good luck, big project like that always seems to take more time and effort to complete than what you think it will.

I am out of here for beer and brats at the German Fest in Milwaukee Wis. Been a long week. We got hit with a little wind storm on Monday and have gone non stop since then. atleast it didn't hit today:lol:

Attachments

• P7230254.JPG
    P7230254.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 9
I think Brett is just doing the repairs at the crane guy's shop. I'll bet you that the crane guy is also the welder guy. ;)

Back